Sunday, July 18, 2010

In Paris

For reasons best known to someone other than me I have not been posting!!!! Sort of obvious when you look at the date gap between this and other posts.
I have been siting here in our holiday apartment in St Germain Du Pres reading the "Happiness Project" on my ipad and died that I can post my photos on my blog when I download them on my return to New York. I like to have photos in my blog especially when I am traveling but I was unable and too disorganized to get the cable from Apple to enable this to happen with my iPad and that's what I brought with me is time.

We have arrived in Paris after our four days on the canal boat. I couldn't write about them at the time as we had no Internet access, in fact we had very little other than the joy of cruising along a canal through the French countryside and developing our skills in boating.

Our first full day (yesterday) in Paris touring had us up early and off to Musee D'Orsay but not to the museum ,yet, but to the wharf outside and on a canal cruise of Paris. You'd ink after a week of canals we'd have had enough. By the end of the 3 hour cruise we had had enough of locks I have to say but the tour of a different aspect of Paris was lovely. We ended up at Place de la Villette and it was a good spot to then catch the train and travel to the Musee de Jacques Mart Andre where we had been four years ago and seen a fabulous photography exhibition of e works of the Paris Match magazine photographers. Photos of celebrities in different and interesting situations. The purpose of the trip was to buy the book from the exhibition that I hadn't bought last time as I thought it too much to carry and too expensive. I have regretted it ever since and couldn't buy it on line but now..... I have it and it isn't all that big nor was it too expensive. The current exhibition at the gallery was from Greco to Dali. An interesting exhibition with some lovely works by Sorolla and the ever bizarre Dali. The house is a little like the Frick in NYC in that it has permanent exhibition which is the house itself and it's art collection and then has a different art installation every so often.

We decided we would walk back to Rue De Rivoli to do a little shopping but it was such a long way and we needed a bit of a breather to renew our energy for shopping. Not much success along the part we walked in terms of shopping but we were strolling along with views of Place du La Concorde, the top of the Eiffel Tower and then eventually alongside the Louvre.

We caught a Metro train to Odeon and walked back to our apartment via some shops. No success in the fashion buying stakes but great success in the vying of items for the soon to be bored great niece/nephew. If we knew the gender of said child we'd have bought even more!!!

Home to our apartment overlooking from the first floor, the bistros of Rue du Seine. A bit of a rest up and then out to find a bijou jazz experience. Many of the places advertised or listed on the Internet and in books are closed. Bilboquet the most famous of jazz places was just a few streets away but is now apartments. Sadly. However we found another jazz place with great food and ambiance just up the rue from where Bilboquet was and had a delightful late dinner listening to a jazz combo, hardly a band when it's a piano and a sax. It was a great day in Paris filled with sights, sounds and photos.

3 comments:

Barb said...

Celia!! Whoa!! So glad to hear from you. I was a tad worried. Even DH asked about the lady from Australia!! LOL I usually read your posts to him because they are so good!

Sounds like you are having a great time and I sure miss those pics of where you are at!! Will be looking forward to seeing them for sure.

Continue on with a great trip and post sooner than the last time. We missed you!

Terry said...

I was wondering where you were. Glad you are having a good time.

Carol said...

I want to hear all about your Paris adventure and can't wait for the photos. We are heading over in December and I am already trying to plan everything we want to see lol

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...