Sunday, November 9, 2008

During the week

It has been a week that has flown by with lots of work to get done but some social aspects to life too. Today I'm spending the time getting my well and truly overdue thanks to people out and done.
I was going to attach my thanks and the card from the family to my emails but it was all taking so long that I gave up but was still able to get letters/ emails to people thanking them.
Things tend to catch you unawares and Kath's (my niece) blog was enough to have me catching my breath and thankful that she does have people she can talk with when she was unable to talk with "Gran".
It brings home even more how "private" she was although public with her political opinions. It has been strange not writing to her and telling her the ins and outs of my week- giving my version of what has happened and how it has affected me and those around me.
This week I would have written to my mother about the election and what an exciting time it was in New York and the "US of A" (as she insisted addressing her letters, or comments at least).
Like others I find myself thinking about what and how I would tell her about things.
On Tuesday we had an amazing walk back from the New York Times Building. Crowds had gathered to watch the "count" on the big screens through Times Square- the crowds spilling on to the road with police valiantly trying to keep them on the footpaths but to all intents and purposes the viewers ignored them.
People were out with signs and music and eager to see and hear the result of the election. The scenes were like none other seen around an election.
We continued on our walk back through to the Rockefeller Centre to see the "tradition" of the progress of the count via the "ribbons" being drawn up the side of the towers. It was crowded and difficult to see much. The atmosphere in Times Square was far more exciting and intriguing.



We came home and watched the closing of the polling stations on the east coast. Just as 11 pm struck a roar went up from Times Square (which we could hear) and didn't stop for at least an hour and a half. It was still going when I went to bed after midnight. The vibrancy of the crowd and the event was much more exciting and spontaneous than New Year's Eve.
And then we had to front up for work the next day- I was exhausted by the end of the day but not so tired as the principal I was talknig with on Thursday who had stayed up until 4:30am watching the count and the repeat of speeches and events throughout the country.

It was fascinating to be here and be a part of it all even if on the periphery.


2 comments:

Barb said...

Life can be somewhat over-taking at times. I am sure you are missing your mom especially at this busy election and holiday season when you wrote so often.

I continue to pray for you that your days will become easier. Continue to cherish your very sepcial memories.

Thanks for sharing these times in NY with us. I enjoy them so much!

Terry said...

Celia--I just love your pictures. I love living in NYC--via your blog!!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...