Sunday, August 3, 2008

Getting the chores done


With visitors due later in the day it was get the chores done early and relax!
The day starts with the laying and lighting the fire having released Spencer in to the backyard for his morning relief. Breakfast for me and a small snack for him and once the sink is shiny and polished time for my own ablutions.
I put the washing on and made sure the guest bed was in tact - no indication that Spencer had availed himself of the extra comfort it might have afforded.
I was hanging out the washing and remembered the photo that Julia took in Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia, all the washing on that particular line was black- mainly black on my line too.
Glancing away from the laundry into next door's yard the young father next door was shepherding his kids in to the car but had stopped his son and was inspecting his head and picking things out of the boy's hair. I knew what that indicated! He called good morning and I commented on the task in front of him. We then proceeded to have a longish conversation about the problems of keeping kids free of head lice when others in the pre-school don't take as much care.
On my way back into the house I noticed another fungus growing on the corner of the steps. Proof that there must be more water around this year. Things are blooming in the garden too.
Washing and chat done I began the task of refilling the big green wheelie bin with kindling . The twigs and leaf litter from the eucalyptus provide great kindling for the fire and the bin was low. I should have done it on Thursday before the rain but it will dry out in the bin and be useful during the coming weeks.

The kindling gathering brought to light the presence of "barker's eggs" in various parts of the yard so a further little task to complete.
I also put the recycling out as Spencer had found the washed polystyrene trays from the meat and had managed to try to get sustenance from them and in the process spread them throughout the house. He gets as much joy out of tissues in the waste bin if you aren't careful!
Ah the joys of dog ownership and domestic chores!

4 comments:

Terry said...

Celia--what are barkers eggs? Never heard the term before? Life there seems so different than your life in NYC! It seems like it is so tranquil. Hanging out laundry---now that is something I haven't done in years!!

see me said...

Hi Terry,
Barker's eggs are dog poo!
Life here is different which in part is why I want to blog about it!
Hope the RV is going well.
Celia

Linda said...

Celia, I was also wondering what the Barker's eggs......what a clever term for dog poo. I would have never guessed it. I love reading your blog and hearing about the simple things in life. I used to always hang out my laundry and it was such a lovely thing to do. Haven't done it in years though. I agree with Terry how your life must be two opposite ends of the spectrum in Australia and then in NYC.

Anke said...

Barker's eggs, how funny is that! I have been away for a week, missed all of this! There is a little award on my blog for you, you can pick it up there if you like!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...