Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Let the holidays begin!

What better way to start the holidays than head for MoMA and a day of taking myself wherever I end up.
It is Tuesday and a lovely fine sunny day- crisp and cool to start- no humidity, lovely. The walk to MoMA is very pleasant a few blocks and a great stop at the American Craft Museum shop to add to the gifts for family and friends when I get home.
Morning tea- a hot dog from the amazing hot dog vendor. Not sure if he is the one I spotted the other week "heading for work" but at that time of day he is very enthusiastic. He has his music blaring and beats a rhythm with the side of his tongs, thinking about it perhaps not the most hygienic instruments for food but effective percussion.
He was so enthusiastic with his maintenance of the rhythm that finding a beat that allowed him to get the hot dog out of the hot water and into the bun proved a challenge but he rose to the occasion and I had my hot dog sitting in the shade opposite MoMA watching the hot dog sales occur and observing the passing parade.
Replete with hot dog I headed in to MoMA only to be told it's closed today- my reply "It's Tuesday isn't it? I knew that!" Which I did- MoMA is closed on Tuesdays! That was not a problem- plenty of other things to do walked up and looked at the changes they are making ot the branch of the New York Public Library- interesting to see what happens and I hope the teen collection comes back there but we'll see- I must go on to the library website and check out the details.
A short walk to 5th Avenue to Barnes and Noble- I need holiday reading and had been perusing the NY Times book lists so had a bit of an idea. I now have the new Janet Evanovich- Fearless Fourteen and an eclectic mix of books to read over the coming weeks.
The journey home was equally event filled. I decided lunch was necessary so walked along 44th Street to Times Square and thought I'd have lunch in the bar overlooking the Square but couldn't work out what hotel it was so went to the 8th floor of the Marriott. Turns out if I had walked through where I ended up I would have been where I wanted but that's no problem . I sat at a table and looked at the menu and waited for the server. And waited and waited. Got my book out and waited. Pointedly checking around. I was tempted to stand up and shout my order to the cluster of wait staff standing and chatting at the kitchen thingy area. Eventually a woman came to clear behind me and walked past- I caught her eye- and attention- when I asked "Am I in a dead zone here?" Her expression indicated that she didn't find it amusing and that it was more likely her area to service. It was and I did get lunch but it was a bit of a wait. But I had my book and was completely happy really.
Getting home I collapsed on the counch and.... read my book. Oh the joy of holidays!

No comments:

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...