Tuesday, April 14, 2009

From Sedona to Kingman

It was a day for seeing wildlife along Route 66.
First we saw a prairie dog while we were waiting to turn a corner. Then we realized there were about 8 or 9 of them, they scuttled and stood on alert as we drove away .
Just as we were commenting on wildlife a deer ran across the road, luckily a fair way in front of us and both Sue and the oncoming car slowed right down for fear not only of hitting that one but in case it had some mates wanting to follow it.


Walking through the street (there was only one main street) of Seligman this lovely little bird and its mate caught my eye and stood still long enough for me to get a photo.


This final example of wildlife was outside what looked like a biker's den in Seligman.

We not only had lunch in Selgiman but an interesting chat with the folk in the tourist information centre. The advantage of having access to the internet along the way is that one can check out the facts or information about where one is or is going. In this where one was. In checking out information about the names of people we met in Seligman's tourist Information centre I found the following which pretty much matched our experience.
As I walked up the street I stopped at the Route 66 Gift Shop. I was hoping to find some more refrigerator magnets, post cards and trinkets of the Mother Road for my collection. As I was browsing among the cool memorabilia, a rear door to the shop opened and an older gentleman entered. Though I had never met him before, he looked strangely familiar. We made our introductions and it was then that I realized who he was. Angel Delgadillo! I was in the presence of a Route 66 legend. I mentioned reading his interview in Michael Wallis’s book. Angel then indicated a row of books on the counter, "I think I’m mentioned somewhere in every one of those books," he said smiling. "I must have given over 200 interviews in my day." I flipped open one of the Route 66 books and saw Angel’s picture over the caption, Mayor of Route 66. "Well, that’s what they call me in that book," he laughed. As we talked about Route 66 I could see the genuine love of the old road reflected in his eyes. (The first time I met Angel Delgadillo ~ March 2001)
In our case Angel was sitting at the front door and greeted us with "Welcome home!" While we perused the shelves he chatted a bit then headed off for lunch. The man who replaced him then chatted about Australia- turns out his son moved to Australia after his wife died and he now lives in Horsham. I told him I had family in Horsham and we chatted about the small town experience his son and grandchildren will be having in Australia but compared to Seligman it would be big big big country town experience as Seligman is a one street town.

No comments:

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...