Sunday, April 26, 2009

Saturday in the Park

Spring time in New York City- I love it! What better way to spend your days than strolling through Central Park and enjoying the sunshine and delightful flowers and trees.
Having arrived near the Delacourt Theatre we found a place under a lovely tree with pink blossoms.Our picnic lunch was spread out very quickly and the rest of our friends arrived. We sat and lounged around for a few hours and then I ventured back through the park looking for things in bloom.From the "safety" of our little space in the park one was totally unaware of how many other people thought that a picnic or stroll in the park was a good idea. This was the view standing at one point and looking one way....

...... then the other. Perhaps it is proof that Zelda Fitzgreald (wife of F. Scott Fitzgerald) was right when she said
“Youth doesn't need friends -- it only needs crowds.”
Today youth was out in force in the park sunbathing (they obviously don't understand about skin cancer), playing ball, throwing footballs (why is it called football when most of the game involves throwing?), eating, drinking, walking .....basically enjoying the sunshine.
And then as Nanki Poo would sing in Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Mikado"
The flowers that bloom in the spring, Tra la, Breathe promise of merry sunshine — As we merrily dance and we sing, Tra la, We welcome the hope that they bring, Tra la, Of a summer of roses and wine, Of a summer of roses and wine. And that's what we mean when we say that a thing Is welcome as flowers that bloom in the spring. Tra la la la la, Tra la la la la, The flowers that bloom in the spring.

3 comments:

Barb said...

Celia you made my spring day today with your beautiful pictures!

I talked to my son yesterday and he had wanted to go roller bladeing in the park. Only thing, he lost his ipod! He didn't know if he could roller blade without his music!! Duh. What is it about kids? Silence is a good thing!!!

Looks like it was a wonderful day. Glad you got to enjoy! So have I now!!!

Carol said...

Thankyou for your visit to my blog - what amazing adventures you have been on since I was last here.

I had never considered that Anzac Day would be acknowledged NY. Did you go to the dawn service? What an amazing place to have the service.

Anke said...

Oh my gosh, look at all those people!!!! I would have a fit! Good thing I have my backyard to hang out in, not that I'm antisocial or anything :)
I love your pictures, they are just gorgeous!!!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...