Thursday, October 8, 2009

A night at the Opera

I knew last weekend that this was going to be a busy week. Having been to work and then to some training on using the interactive whiteboard Sue and I came home and straight to Hurley's for a quick tea. Cooking was beyond us as I also knew I had tickets for Aida. I wasn't too fussed about being on time or if need be leaving early. I wanted to pace myself and enjoy the evening as well as be capable of working the next day!

The St Malachy's church bells were ringing before I left the apartment. I caught the 104 bus up to the Lincoln Center and was seated in my seat before the auditorium lights made their ascent! The snowflake crystal chandeliers are truly lovely .

The production of Aida at the Met is splendid. The sets, the costumes the music in that glorious auditorium. It was a wonderful evening's entertainment.

I still struggle with the squat, rotundness of some of the singers- in this particular production there seemed to be more than the usual smattering of them.

Not all the entertainment for the evening was contained on the stage. At the first interval a man, seated about four rows in front and to my right, stood up and turned around to the people behind. It was as the stage curtain closed and the lights had yet to come on in the auditorium- he bent slightly and yelled at the person behind "Would you turn that thing off!" That got all of our attention. Turns out the guy behind had some electronic thing that kept beeping and annoying the "yell-er"- I just hope it wasn't a pace maker or life support system that the man wanted turned off!
At the first interval I walked out and looked at the refurbished fountain and the lovely view that is the Lincoln Center at night.



On my way back in to the theatre I passed an usher selling DVD's and a patron said to him "Are you getting your ties back?" The usher in an open necked shirt replied yes in the winter. I remarked to the usher that it was obviously an important aspect of the patron's visit to the opera.


The next act was splendid .... the synopsis doesn't prepare one for the lavishness of the production.

1 comment:

Barb said...

So much fun. My DS was just commenting about getting into the season again.

Looks like a great time!! Thanks for sharing!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...