Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Tuesday tutors

It seems like a year ago but it was on January 18 that I decided I should volunteer for something within NYC and registered with NYCares. That was a tad fraught as my blog entry from them records. But I finally managed to be "trained" and now all this time later I have found a project that a) I could get in to and b) I wanted to do.

So tonight I toddled along to my first of a series of volunteering for tutoring. When I registered I hadn't realized it was for such a long period of time but this has worked out well for me (although I have to work next Tuesday at the time the tutoring is - a slight hiccup but easily overcome ie don't tutor and recommence the following week).
I found my way to the address and in to the building on 40th Street. It is actually a "homework" program and I ended up with a group of three children two boys in grade 2 and a girl in grade 1. We got to know each other a little and then got stuck in to getting their homework done and reading their take home books. Lovely kids- all with a bit of get up and go in them. The girl was a live wire minding everyone else's business but her own. A handful! The two boys were helping each other and interested in what they were doing. All were fascinated with my accent.
I had a better run than a couple of other tutors who asked in the meeting after the session
  1. How do you get them to tell you their real name? Turns out this wondrous child when asked his name said all manner of things ranging through superheroes from Superman to Spiderman
  2. How do you know what their homework is? One lovely child said they didn't have any and they didn't know what it was.
  3. Will I always have 5 children in my group?
So my three ended up being pretty well the easiest to manage and get on with.

I left at 6:20ish feeling quite exhilarated by it all. Lovely to have conversations with and work with kids.

2 comments:

Barb said...

Sounds like you had the best of them!! What a wonderful thing for you to do. I think you would be marvelous at this!! I would like doing it if I knew I would have the same children for a time. Not one group one week and another group the next week!

embeeuu said...

Really impressive activity, Celia. Your skills and talents as a teacher always shine through.

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...