Thursday, February 5, 2009

A day down the.....

Actually it wasn't completely bad as I managed to get this photo and an idea for a page that I will do on Friday night but the start of the day was distressing to say the least.
It was a day when "mass transit" was not my major problem, rather it was my inner compass and memory. Having headed to one of the school's I'd visited last week I was on my way to my first day (one of three) at a middle school in Brooklyn. Now I think about it the train journey was a problem last time I went to this school- the feuding pastry vendors however I managed to make an absolute muddle of getting to this place.
It started by my catching the R train as no N train was arriving. I thought that Hopstop was just sending me on the N because it is express but in fact just because the two trains travel to the same location, Canal St, they do not enter the same platform and so my easy quick walk up the stairs to the J train turned into a frantic rereading of signs a 10 minute run around in circles changing from one place to another and finally amidst much mental self criticism.
I arrived at the appropriate station and "exited the building"- I'll blame, initially, the sun reflecting off the snow and dazzling me as the reason I headed in the wrong direction fully confident I was going the right way. After some careful walking along very icy and snow laden paths I began to realize that perhaps I should have doubled checked or even brought a map let alone made sure I had the exact address written down! I stopped an asked a person clearing the pat outside a school , working on the assumption that most people who work in schools know where the other schools are, but not this one! I started back the way I came and met a crossing guard who thankfully knew where I meant and gave me great directions in spite of her shock at how far away I was from the school in question. I eventually arrived at the school 40 minutes after leaving the train station!
The day proceeded pretty well although I am a touch ambiguous about how much I am assisting them in the work they want me to do.
The day was not a complete waste as I managed to get a photo of the principal's bathroom and it had me thinking about the traumas of finding "the facilities" in schools. A story for another day I think....

No comments:

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...