Saturday, February 7, 2009

Two in one day!

My collection of photos of lost gloves has expanded as is my reputation for being weird I think. Having vowed to myself that if I see a lost glove or item of clothing then I will photograph it in situ- I now stop mid stride and try to scurry over to a spot so that I am not in anyone's way and then grope for my camera in my handbag. Once I manage to extricate it I then have to not lose one of my own gloves as I hold and shoot the photo using one hand only. One handed photo taking has it faults- the photos sometimes end up quite blurry and too far away but I am not going to zoom the shot- difficult one handed but also it means there is more likely to be blurred shots and they don't crop as well. Why one handed? I'm usually on my way to or from work schlepping my usual clobber or I'm trying to keep hold on my gloves. The black glove was outside CVS on the coner of Malcolm X Boulevard and 166TH St. The bluey coloured one was on W 26th St, I spotted in on my way home from a scrapbooking crop at Cheryl's office. It was so tempting to walk right past it at 11:30pm. There was a large group of people coming up behind me as they walked toward 6th Avenue. So I moved to the side of the footpath sort of pressed up against the scaffolding as I began the find the camera ritual. This was little more anxiety ridden as another young man was hanging around not on the same quest as me but looking for a friends apartment. How did we survive without cell phones? The young man was asking where are you? which buzzer do I press? In my anxiety to not draw attention to myself photographing a lost glove on the footpath I had to take three shots - the third one using the flash but it being New York I am the least weirdest thing they say that night I'd say/ hope!
My work for the day was again highlighted by Ronald who last week asked the wonderful question about the First Lady. Today I was working with a small group and we were talking about the difference between questions and clarification. Ronald said "Clarification questions are different from plain old questions because..." what a great turn of phrase Ronald has.
Throughout schools and this school in particular there are great displays of information about Barrack Obama and the historic presidential election. It is coming up to Presidents Day (and some holidays!!!) and it is also Black History month so there are bound to be many displays linking to the election.

2 comments:

Barb said...

Good grief, Celia. Did you have a fun couple days??

I know how you feel about taking these seemingly "odd" pics. I had Jim taking pics of signs in Starbucks one day. I thought one customer was going to take a picture of this "oddball" taking a picture of signs!!! LOL

Hope the next few days are somewhat calmer!!!

Tamarra said...

I love the photos of the "odd"

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...