Friday, July 3, 2009

What do Thursdays hold?

Before heading to NYC I was an active member of the Rotary Club of Footscray. They meet every Thursday at 12:30pm so this Thursday meant I headed there for the weekly meeting. It was good catching up with all the "boys" and hearing the speaker, Ted Whitten Jnr, speak about men's health. His father was known as "Mr Football" and died i 1995 from prostate cancer. Since then Ted Jnr has established the EJ Whitten Foundation to highlight the issues of men's health and get men to go to the doctor as well as fund research into prostate cancer.

I walked there and back and managed to sort out the money I think for my visa. It involved going to the Post Office and paying two separate amounts one for the lodgment of the application (guess they have to pay the consular staff) and the other for the visa itself. I also had to buy a special envelope for the return of my passport once the visa is approved. Now I still need to gather other supporting evidence- like CV etc to get that ready for Tuesday's appointment.

I went with Michele (my sister) when she went to the hairdresser at 6pm yesterday. It was a drive that would normally take about 20 minutes but with peak hour traffic and the rain (yay rain at last!) it took about 40 minutes. We had to call the hairdresser to let her know we were running late. I sat with Michele while she had her hair cut chatting with the hairdresser about life here and in NYC and sipping on a glass of wine provided by the salon. We then drove back to Rathdowne St in Carlton and the Kent Hotel ( a link to see what it looks like)and had some dinner. We chatted a bit about Mich's plans for work which haven't changed from what she had said about going down to 4 days soon and getting her own consultancy business as a nurse practitioner, going.

We drove home to Footscray and as it was Thursday night we put the bins out- this week is recycle bin week (yellow lidded bin) so two bins wheeled to the front nature strip ready for collection in the early hours.

After coping with the greeting by the dogs (we are minding Wendy's dog Sponty while she travels around Australia) we settled back home. We had two games of scrabble and each won one game so things are fairly even on the game score I think.

To bed around 11. Spencer, our black cocker spaniel, often moves in under my bed to sleep when I am home. The bed is high enough that he just ducks his head a bit and moves in to a spot he likes but in the process sometimes knocks the double adapter to which the clock radio is attached so suddenly the time is swtiched off. He did it again this morning so I was working on approximate times. This photo is taken through a rather spotty grubby back door!

Today I'm going to get the washing done- change sheets towels etc and get that drying- all takes time and organization given that we do not have a clothes dryer and it is raining on and off most days, great for the opportunity it affords in terms of the breaking of the drought- lousy for getting the washing done.
Also have to get all the odds and sods of paper work done. Perhaps try a bit more art journaling...... messy but under control I think!

Scattered throughout this post are photos taken a couple of years ago when I was home in the winter (again) view of the back garden, the front of the house and down the street.

1 comment:

Anke said...

wow, a 40 minute ride, that would drive me crazy, I can't stand traffic to begin with. One of the benefits of small towns!
I love the shots scattered throughout, they are so pretty, especially the sunset!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...