Sunday, February 21, 2010

Strolling around Key West

This is how our day started! Walking across from our room to the cafe for breakfast this was the first image I captured for the day- I felt it bode well for the day and it did!



After breakfast we went for a walk along Duval Street

Cigar stands are not uncommon which unfortunately means you are bound to get caught in th back draft of some bloke strolling along puffing on on of the suckers.

This is no longer a movie house but as the sign say- a Walgreens

I had to snap the sign then the guy from the store said he has stickers of the sign (very enterprising) so my mate Shirley will get her sticker sometime in the future. The story behind the surf and skate store according to our informant (the owner) is that his wife's name is Shirley and she can't surf as well as the play on words when asked "Surely there's no surf beach at Key West?" he can reply "I sell skateboards too and don't call me Shirley" or something along those lines. He told us according to his survey 90% of Shirley's can't surf and 70% can't swim.


I wanted to get the church without the power lines in front but the sun made it a bit more difficult.
The tree in front of the house is what made this more interesting to me.

There is a long history and story surrounding the Chicken Wars in Key West here's one link

A glimpse of Hemingway's house.

Strolling along Whitehead Street

Self explanatory marker!

2 comments:

Terry said...

wow Celia that picture of the beach is awesome.

Barb said...

Celia, I don't know whether to thank you or not!! It is still cold and ugly here in Tampa Bay and the first picture sure made me want some of out warm sunshine. LOL

Those are awesome pics. The area seems so quaint which is what I just adore.

I am just soaking all this in. Thanks for sharing your vacation!!!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...