Friday, August 22, 2008

Jet lag recovery

Our Tuesday spent journeying back to NYC was relatively painless until we (Sue was on the same flight sitting next to me) got to catching the taxi home in NYC. I guess they need to do roadworks at some point but didn't they know we had just completed 24 hours of traveling from Australia and would really like to be home in our lovely apartment!? The other big question was why did the taxi driver go back on to the freeway? The result was a journey that should have taken 30 minutes (on a good run) took an hour and a half- we fell out of the cab at 1am completely kn#@kered!
The flight from Australia was on time and despite not sleeping well (what me? not sleep well! This is the woman who can sleep through fireworks outside her Las Vegas hotel window- okay so I got three hours sleep and then another two hours but that's not enough) the journey went really quickly all 14 hours of it.
The delay in LA really added to the journey- only in time spent! The six hours flying to NYC really flew ( forgive the pun) but it was enhanced by the business class seat, the food and the individual DVD player- unfortunately I have yet to see the end of the movie "Definitely Maybe" as they gathered the players before it had ended, but perhaps not a tragedy it was a good plane movie.

So here I am back in our glorious apartment in midtown enjoying a lovely summer day not too hot or too humid but trying to recover my body clock. What is the cure for this odd feeling of not being able to think properly? Yesterday I started to say something to Sue and had the first word out of my mouth and couldn't remember what it was I was going to say!

Today's effort to manage the mind space has involved
-up early particularly for someone on holidays! ie 5:45am
- breakfast at an outdoor table at Serafina's on Broadway and 55th St
- back home to bed for a three hour sleep! So much for getting the body clock working!

Since the extra sleep I've managed to fluff around quite a bit and am feeling okay now but I think my body clock is telling me it is 7am Melbourne time and it's okay to be up and awake!

I need to get my blog up to date so I'm going to try over the next few days to update back entries so there isn't a gaping hole in the month but we shall see!

3 comments:

Michele said...

Egad! not sleeping! are you well?

Terry said...

glad you made it home safe and sound!

Anke said...

hey there, welcome home! Just take your time and let your body come back to your brain! I remember from Germany it always took me a couple of days to get the fuzzies to leave my head!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...