Sunday, August 10, 2008

It wouldn't be ... without...

Walking along the street in Anglesea I overheard a woman, as she popped in to the newsagency, say to her friend "I'll just be a moment- it wouldn't be Saturday without The Age!"
It got me thinking again about Australian icons and then icons in general and then just things.... thought I'd make a "It wouldn't be... without..." list. Add any you can think of too.
It wouldn't be a pie without sauce!
It wouldn't be toast without vegemite!






It wouldn't be a beach without sand!





It wouldn't be a road sign without a kangaroo warning!


It wouldn't be breakfast without coffee!

It wouldn't be an afternoon snack without a Tim Tam!

It wouldn't be chops and mashed potatoes without fresh peas!

I'm beginning to show my preferences here.



The trip to Anglesea was purposeful not just to get the newspaper but also the doings for dinner and to finally get to the clothes shop which didn't open until 11am and I was there bright eyed and bushy-tailed around 10am. I did my shopping in reverse order- got the supermarket stuff out of the way. I wasn't worried about the refrigeration of things as it is so cold at the moment I think the car interior is colder than the fridge.

I managed to find and purchase some lovely jumpers (to replace the ones the airlines haven't found from our trip to Memphis in February which I wrote about then), some long sleeved tops, a polar fleece light vest ($20 and they only had brown as an alternative so only got the light green one). One of the tops is merino wool (It wouldn't be wool if it wasn't merino!) and the shop assistant was advising me on how to wash it (in the machine and dry on a rack). She said the first wash put it in with a pair of jeans as then will remove any initial loose woolly bits. I then shocked her by saying I don't have any jeans- in fact surprised myself a little when I realized that! I'll have to borrow a pair to wash with the top.
The sea was glorious so I had to take more photos on the way home- having left Spencer in the back garden he was a tad frantic by the time I got home although not quite so frenetic as last Monday!



I spent part of the rest of the day catching up on my scrapbook class. The chat on Friday lunchtime (my time- Thursday night NYC time) helped me get things sorted in my head about what memories and stories I could use. The photo of my page ended up quite blurry but I am pleased with the actual page.
The story I told (against myself) is the one when I broke the lid of the biscuit barrel while sneaking an extra biscuit. Not too awful a crime except that the biscuit barrel was a Martin Boyd piece of pottery!


Spencer was fairly restless- every time I stood up he was under my feet so I thought I'd walk to return the 5 videos I'd borrowed and get some more to fill the evenings I'll have here over the next couple of days. Leash, dog, poo bag, videos, coat and purse and we were off.
The walk to the river shops is so lovely now (in the last 4 years) as the local shire has constructed the walk down below the main road which leads to the reserve.
As is my wont I needed to find a public convenience somewhere along the way and found signs indicating the possibility of one on the other side of the "swamp"- I didn't know there was a bark hut there! But I was on a mission and didn't stop for long so need to go back another time. I decided that the signposting must mean I needed to venture further along the road and up around the inlet and Painkalac Creek but did manage a photo and a pause to ponder how gorgeous it all is.
The punblic convenience was convenient to where I ended up and the visit to the video library stocked my supplies for the next few days.
The walk back was a tad more relaxed although I was perhaps too relaxed and slow as we got caught in a downpour that lasted about 5 minutes but was heavy enough to wet us both. The rain continued throughout the evening- wonderful! Not sure how much water we got but things are looking wet and there is a puddle on the "terrace".

Translations for some readers:
jumper=sweater; vegemite is the best savoury spread to have on anything!; pie= meat pie; sauce=ketchup; newsagency= newspaper seller; Tim Tams the best chocolate coated chocolate filled chocolate cookie every invented.

A great read is my sister Michele's blog about her adventures in Japan.

7 comments:

Michele said...

It wouldn't be a rainy day without a book.
It wouldn't be a garden without lavendar
It wouldn't be a family without a sister!
Loved the thoughts,you are so deep at times!!

Anke said...

I absolutely love your photos, how gorgeous it is where you are. I didn't realize you were still taking a class while there, good for you!
It wouldn't be Sunday without my paper, it wouldn't be morning without my bird screeching etc.
(very fun)

Linda said...

Celia, I really loved reading your blog today. It sounds and looks so beautiful there and you have such a relaxing life. Does it take you awhile to adjust to the busy busy life in NYC?
It wouldn't be NY without horns honking.

Carol said...

Hi Celia, thankyou so much for coming to visit my blog.
What a life you live, very exciting.
Loved hearing your " It wouldn't be..." I think I must be one of the very few Aussies who cannot stand vegemite. Even the smell of it turns me off lol.
Do you mind if I add your link to my sidebar?
Carol :-)

Barb said...

It wouldn't be the end of the workday without coffee with my husband!

Love your blog, Celia! It is so peaceful...it clams my inner-being.

Sounds like you are enjoying your time away from the rush of the city!

Thanks for sharing!

Bridie said...

It wouldn't be an outfit without fabulous shoes
It wouldn't be proper housework with out the music blasting
I wouldn't be me if I didn't have you

xx :)

Anonymous said...

ok, so you've definately got to do a page with this series of "wouldn't bes" Welcome home! love your blog header.

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...