Thursday, March 10, 2011

An artifiical tropical habitat

....that is how New York City was described in one of the books a student was reading in one of the classrooms today. The description was an explanation of why cockroaches are thriving here. They are in greater numbers than the rats which are in large enough numbers as it is.
The book was saying with the buildings, lighting and heating the way they are there is an artificial tropical habitat in place.
Schools are one of those artificial tropical habitats are striving to be at least. The heating is so high in most places one wears multiple layers so as not to die of a chill on the way to work and then one peels off most of the outer layers in order to move and feel comfortable in the tropical heat that is in the school.
Tropical climes bring to mind exotic creatures and there are a large number of exotic creatures in NYC that's for sure. I didn't see my clock man this morning. But was thinking about the possibility and remembered the man with the cat on his head that I saw a few years ago. This made me think about creating my own book perhaps using blurb.com. I thought I could have text and pictures of the exotic creatures that I have seen. It may well be a short book given the number of photos I have been able to get of people but there are a few that come to mind... Batman crossing the road at 42nd St , the man in the banana costume at 7:00am, "my" clock man, the man with the cat on his head.... That's a list without much thinking or effort.
Then on the way home ... where was my camera??? Loise was driving I should have had the little sucker at the ready... we were waiting to cross 5th Avenue and there he was ...a pirate complete with long hair, tri-corner hat, boots- couldn't see it there was a hook or eye patch but how appropriate on 5th Avenue?! Aren't pirates fond of tropical climes and trying to rip the natives off? Ah NYC you've gotta love it!

1 comment:

Barb said...

New York sounds just like Florida. We get our share. So many people come here in the winter because they would freeze up north with no where to stay. Here, they can sleep anywhere and not freeze.

I love your idea about the book. I would want one for sure!!!!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...