Friday, March 18, 2011

St Paddy's Day

Work got in the way of a beautiful day and a great day for the St Patrick's Day March. It is billed as having been on the streets of New York since 1762, the oldest, the biggest and the best in the world.
It does have a huge effect on the city of New York- the most odd people claim an Irish connection.
Seeing I couldn't head to see the parade I thought I'd do my own quick photo shoot of part of the city near me and the impact of St Patrick's Day. Walking along the street it was difficult to decide what was greatest numbers patches of green, swearing or people who had imbibed too much. This was at 4:30 in the afternoon. The crowds got greener and louder and sillier as the night wore on.

Street stall items
 I really should have photographed the stall holder- an elderly Asian man who was decked out in a variety of green garb wearing a badge that said "Kiss me I'm Irish" or words to that effect.

A patch of green

Collecting money for the homeless
 The empty green yard glass caught my eye as well as the sartorial splendor of the collector of money for the homeless. Not sure if he had emptied the glass or a passerby had given it to him.

No green but interesting activity

They were posing for this photographer
 I presume the photographer was a friend and not sure what splendid artistic effect was being aimed for but it made for interesting viewing on my part.
Queuing for cheap theatre tickets

Hanging out- in more ways than one really

Another street vendor

Even the pedicab drivers took advantage of the day

Hurley's our local Irish bar
The pub over the road was jumping all day and night. They had a band and also extra security on the door- mean looking guy who didn't smile and checked ID. Not Mary's and mine though- I wonder why?

1 comment:

Barb said...

People love any reason to celebrate!!! Gee, isn't it awful when no one questions your age for stuff. I remember when I first started getting the "senior" discount for meals when we ate out. They would question me. Now, they say, "Senior Size??" (Sometimes I get it without even being asked!!) Oh well.

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...