Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Until today.....

Until today I had never visited the New York Botanical Gardens. I'd organised to meet Yuisa and look around- I have to say I'd forgotten the Little Italy in the Bronx part of our arrangements.
The trip on the D seemed ot be taking forever but it was only an hour from door to door.
As is likely ot happen we were waiting at different gates of the gardens. Yuisa was at the conservatory gate and I was at the pedestrian gate. Thank goodness for cell phones.
We eventually met up and have become members of the gardens as it has exchange rights with other gardens in NYC.
Anyway we headed in to this vast domain that is the NYC Botanical Gardens. I had forgotten one of the reasons I anted to go was that the exhibition through the Gardens was Henry Moore's sculptures. Twenty of them .
Henry Moore, died in 1986, he is quoted as saying that “Sculpture is an art of the open air, and for me its best setting and complement is nature. I would rather have a piece of my sculpture put in a landscape, almost any landscape, than in, or on, the most beautiful building I know.”
And so we saw a vast number of the 20 sculptures in the best possible landscape. They was really magnificent and the titles added to the event- variations on reclining figure basically.
However we walked around the gardens and made our way to the Rose Garden that was past its best but was still beautiful. It was very hot however- I kept sweating like a pig for most of the day.
Yuisa wanted me to see Little Italy in the Bronx- we walked to Arthur Avenue and to one of her favourite restaurants for lunch. She said the lobster ravioli at Umberto's Clam House was her favourite and I can see why- it had chunks of lobster in and around the ravioli. A delightful meal- we walked back to the Metro North stop and I was back at Grand Central after 15 minutes on the train.
A great day out despite the heat- I noticed on the way home that it was 93 no wonder I was sweaty.

1 comment:

Terry said...

I just strolled over to your blog tonight. I just love getting a glimpse of your life in the city. It is so very different from my world.

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...