Friday, July 11, 2008

A little of my "hour by hour" day

Barb set a challenge of taking a photo every hour for a day. I knew it wouldn't be very easy. The difficult part being remembering or realizing when an hour was up. Having recently decided that managing getting the washing done was great enhanced by the use of the microwave timer I set the timer each hour. This was complicated by the fact that I was doing the washing too. A bit of mental maths required to keep me on the straight and narrow of a photo every hour. I managed it but in downloading them from my camera something happened and so I have missed the ones from late in the day but I was struggling to get subjects by then- there is a limit to the number of photos oe can take of the TV!
My first shot was of my rumpled bed at 6:20am but I have chosen not to share that one!
At 7:20am I was rather taken with the light shining in to my bedroom and across my desk- I wasn't actually at my desk but it is the spot at which I start many of my days (checking emails and blogs) so a good first one to see.
The challenge was a good one to take on today as it was my personally designated day to get my bags packed and things sorted.So at 9:20 I was packing.
I'd decided to take the bigger case home to Australia as I have gifts and requested items to pack and my little red case just wasn't going to manage that. It worked out well for Anne Marie as she could take the red case (they now have two large suitcases each and smaller carry on stuff- not traveling light at all on their Route 66 journey). So today was the bag pack. I did the sort what goes with what- winter stuff takes up so much more room than summer stuff and everyone has been saying it is cold in Melbourne at the moment. Hard to believe when I'm sitting in the lovely warm here. Hopefully I am "warmed to the core" and it will take a while to cool me down enough to feel the cold by which time I'll be heading back to NYC!
The suitcase packing is always a challenge- the challenge for me being to only take what I need and to try and guess what I might be doing while I'm home. If the worst comes to the worst I'll just buy another jumper(sweater) and stay inside!


By 1:20 I'd had lunch and also realized that I didn't have anything substantial for Nick (nephew) and so headed out to the Rockefeller Center to see if there was some electronic thing he might enjoy. Walking past people out for their lunch in the sun made a good shot of summer lunch time crowds in NYC. People were "perching" on every available ledge in and around the fountain. I thought I'd be able to get a shot of people just sitting around by droves of people kept walking past too. The walk to the shop was basically straight along 48th Street and then in and around the shops in Rockefeller Plaza.


By 1:20 I was heading back to the apartment and walked past the waterfall- it is a lovely retreat in this square that runs between 48th and 49th Sts but at the moment there is scaffolding all around so I cribbed a bit and it looks as though there is this tranquil spot with nothing other than the waterfall around. There was an article in the NY Times last weekend about natural waterfalls The other waterfalls of New York, City of Waterfalls, include everything from window-washer cascades, spontaneous subway-pipe falls and restaurant water-pump cataracts to vest-pocket oases, tranquil atrium sanctuaries and even magnificent public works. My particular favorite in the article (linked above) are the Newkirk Ave Falls- part of the Newkirk Ave subway station. I really enjoy the witty and humorous writing that is often found in the NY Times.
Part of heading home involves getting items prepared in the apartment so that the "guests" don't have to worry about things and also to pave the way for our own return to the apartment. I spent time writing cards lined with $ of appreciation for the concierge desk and the doorman. They do look after us and it also ensures they remember and keep looking after us! It is such a "part" of living in the big city and a large apartment building.
So the bag is packed just some essential toileting item to pack and the cameras.
Tomorrow will involve the final notes and things and then Saturday the interminable flight that doesn't bear thinking about yet.

4 comments:

Barb said...

Celia...it was a great day for the pic an hour. I really like what you have posted. Your desk is just great. The dawn of a new day is written all over it! I love that!

Lunch time,the clothes awaiting their future of crumpling closeness....and of course Starbucks!!! You need to see Terry about Starbucks and me!!! LOL Starbucks is very special to DH and I! We spend a lot of quality time there!!! LOL It is a long story I will spare you for now... anyway!

Thanks for sharing. They were beautiful pictures! A special part of your life...frozen in a split second.

Barb

Keasty said...

Gday mate! You must be in Smelbourne by now and settling into our coolish weather.
Good to touch base. May see you round somewhere one f these days. How much longer will the NY gig go for? (Sorry to ask personal question!) Hi to Michelle.

Terry said...

Have a great trip Celia!

Anke said...

What an interesting assignment! I would like to try that someday

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...