Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Next door

It is not really next door as the the door next to our apartment but it is th building next door. It's the Walter Kerr Theatre and that's where A Catered Affair is playing. I finally bit the bullet and got organized to go, and go I did today. Ticket and keys in my pocket I took the elevator to the lobby and headed next door- the queue to get in was snaking back to our buildings door and was pretty slow moving so I went back into the foyer out of the sun and waited in the cool lobby watching to see when I could get in quickly.
The synopsis of the play does little to indicate the pathos of the story.
A Catered Affair is set in The Bronx, 1953. Funny, heartbreaking and oh so human, the musical reveals relationships strained to their limits when a couple must decide whether to spend their life savings on a family business or to launch their only daughter's marriage with a lavish catered affair. Harvey Fierstein's book and John Bucchino's score seize the opportunity to explore the meaning of family and the need for love, both new and reawakened.

It is a musical but the songs blend in with the dialogue far more than other musicals and in the case of A Catered Affair I think it works really well. I cried as did the woman next to me who sniveled significantly after one particular moment.
The costumes were great especially the bridal store's sales assistant and the wedding outfit for the bride. The set was an interesting depiction of NYC life (read the Bronx) but I found it confusing in some aspects and a little difficult to suspend belief with a couple of the scenes especially the conversations through windows and then moves on to the fire escape but despite all this it did bring me to tears.

As for the audience they almost brought me to tears too! I can't imagine why anyone would choose the moment after the mother has sung an amazingly emotional song to stand up and leave. They were mid row down the front- the cast must have noticed and the show was nowhere near over. The leaving meant half the row stood up too and a woman near me (other side of the aisle) chose that moment to rummage in her glad bag for a lolly to suck on. Glad bags make almost as much rustling noise as lolly papers- I know we all needed comfort after the song but this was ridiculous.
Some poor bloke about four rows back found it all too slow (the show that is) and nodded off but also managed to snore fairly loudly. Then there was the mother and teenage daughter in front of me who insisted on showing their love for each other by arms around the neck playing with hairstyles and flicking hair to get comfortable resting on each others shoulder.

All this however does not dim my enjoyment of the show. I thought it was great despite the critics saying it wasn't up to snuff. I think it worked really well and was worth the wait.

6 comments:

Anke said...

wow Celia, I just found your blog through Terry's, I hope you don't mind my stopping by.It was fun meeting all of you ad Debbie's. That photo is sensational!!! I really like it. Your story about the play is so funny, there should be a law against people leaving during a show like that. I remember going to our local concerts where they would close the doors and you were supposed to stay until intermission. It's not fair to the performers to cause a disturbance like that. People can be really selfish and annoying! You lead such an interesting life in the big city! I love to take a peek at it!

see me said...

Hi Anke,
Thanks for dropping by I hardly ever get visitors.
We have missed you in class I always look for your work and Terry's and a couple of other regulars. I love Debbie's classes and feel I have learnt a lot and become more confident with my scrapping.
As to the theatrical experiences if you are interested there is one I blogged about fairly early in the piece it was even more trialling than yesterday's lot.
I thought you too had a blog but didn't find it listed but now I think about it I know why. I'll try and visit.
Celia

Anke said...

thanks for visiting my humble house, had I known, I would have had some cake and tea.
I didn't get the message part, where did you leave it? Am I missing something?

Anke said...

Oops, I guess I just found it! Sorry, I should have looked sooner. I will look for the entry, people can be really funny!

Terry said...

The show sounds great despite the rude people. I love reading about your life in NYC. Theater? The closest thing to theater where I live is the drama department at the local community college. Although, many moons ago when I lived on the East Coast, I used to head up to NYC for the theater and orchestra.

Barb said...

Glad you managed to have a good time dispite other rude people.

DH and I are astounded every day by the way people behave. It is like no one ever taught them to behave...and if no one every did...you would think just having become an adult they would have caught on.

But so glad you were able to enjoy!!!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...