Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Grey Scrubber on the move

Having had a number of days finding it difficult to get going or motivated today my inner "grey scrubber" emerged and I was able to achieve a lot in between providing moral and practical support for Margie.
The hall cupboard was my initial point of attack. Sorting through papers and accumulated valued treasures has in a way become a summer break activity. I think I made some of the tough decisions- how many AUSSIE folders do I possibly need? How long does one keep a piece of work which is inherently useful but never been used or even thought about over the past two years? and so the decisions kept being made in between doing the washing. Great idea to use the microwave timer to keep me up to speed with when each cycle was finished.
Having completed the washing and located some more clothes to be put in the recycle bin in the laundry, and what a liberating thing having the recycle bin in the laundry is- no longer clinging to those items that were either bad decisions in the first place or just don't work in my wardrobe any more, or fit either the wardrobe or me!, I decided to have a bit of a cleaning break and call Margie as she was heading home today.
She was really appreciative of my contact as she had someone to chat with while she put her travel items together and cleaned out the fridge in preparation for the journey home and her "visitors". I did something I'd never do at home. I made a cup of tea and took it down in the elevator to her apartment- saved her dishes and preparation.
We chatted she packed and I sipped my tea and then "helped" clear out her fridge by taking the left overs that would only have gone off and had to be thrown out! We made our farewells wishing each other happy journeys.
Back at the apartment the cupboard had more cleaning out to be done. What does one do with packets of labels that may be useful- they must be useful given that Sue gave them to me for my new printer. Then my cell phone rings and it's Margie wondering if I had taken her keys accidentally. I checked around the things I had brought back to the apartment-I even checked in the fridge! No keys so I went back down to Margie's to provide moral support and an extra pair of eyes. I knw what it's like- you put something down and have no idea where and have to retrace your steps and hope that you locate the thing. So we went on a hunt in drawers, under things, through suitcases and bags and then I noticed an envelope she had put aside to return another tenants keys and asked what was in it- it felt a bit heavier than a small set of keys. Sue enough she had put her own keys in the envelope too- Celia to the rescue.
Hugs and farewells ..... again- back to the apartment and then the "grey scrubber" tackled the fridge. Well overdue but it is so sparkling now that I can rest easy when our "visitors" come to stay.
All that activity seemed to tucker me out so the odd rest on the couch and a quick trip to the shops for some essentials and the grey scrubber rested!

No comments:

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...