Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sitting and Waiting

It is going to be one of those days and what better way to fill that than ponder by way of my blog.

I'm sitting in the Red Carpet Club at JFK having allowed far too much time to get here and get organized. There was the usual last minute panic- usual as in my usual- luckily I decided to weigh the big sucker of a suitcase, it was over the weight. Using such a large suitcase has it's downside apart from being incredibly awkward to get in and out of elevators as your leave your apartment building ..... as well as creating havoc in the elevator when others try to get in and out, it is also dangerous as one (me in particular) is inclined to fill it. Which is why it ended up being overweight before I had finished packing all the essentials.
This meant that I had a few decisions to make- out went the jumper that weighed a few pounds, out went the photobooks, out went the journal I had to write Maddy's story in and then I had to remove packaging from presents so that after much hefting of the thing- no mean feat- I was able to say it was under weight. However I was able to expand Michele's suitcase that I am bringing home for her- too complicated a story to put here- and so other than the heavy jumper (I'm sure I have access to a range of jumpers at Aireys) all the added weight items went into Michele's suitcase and I was off and rolling. Well staggering actually because I have the big sucker, Michele's little sucker; my carry on bag with the essentials (computer; book; Anne Marie's jewels- another long story; my jewels; headphones; my camera cables- not going to lose those again etc etc) my camera in it's own backpack and my jacket for when I get to the cold airport and then my handbag.
The apartment preparation involved getting the keys to the front desk, getting the linen organized (another number of hours in the laundry), then all those last minute things that can only be done at the last minute- like tipping the doormen and posting the rent. So now I can sit here and kick back until it is time to board the plane. I think I'm going to be weary of kicking back very quickly.

4 comments:

Anke said...

what a great idea to bring you laptop and write on your blog while waiting! I hope you had a peaceful flight and have a wonderful time down under. I hope we will still be hearing from you! Take tons of pictures for us

Terry said...

Hope to hear from you often while you are on your trip. Hope the trip is uneventful and the time passes quickly. Such a long flight!

Barb said...

Hope you don't weary too soon, but it is better to be ahead of time than running late and wondering if you will make your flight!

Going to miss you but hope you will be able to post some while you are gone.

By now you have arrived...hope it was a smooth flight. Enjoy your visit! Can't wait to see pics!!!

Keasty said...

It's a wonder they let you into the country!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...