Saturday, September 8, 2012

A journey to the Guggenheim

Having heard that there was a photographic retrospective on at the Guggenheim I decided that today was the day to do it. Get packed for the trip to the Virgin Islands and then give myself the treat of being educated and inspired by a photographer who is having an exhibition in New York City.


I knew nothing about Rineke Dijkstra (pronounced ree-neck-cur daike-strar- that's my written interpretation of the pronunciation sound bite) didn't even know how to pronounce her name until I did this current research.
 As one would expect photograph are not allowed- however the internet seems to have oodles of them so I have found a few images that I really liked.
She found ways to capture the essence  of the subjects and maintains a simplicity within the shots that don't take away from their innocence. I particularly liked the series of photos of Almerisa- they started with this image below and over a number of years showed her development into a lovely young woman and mother.


The guide to the exhibition spoke of the inspiration she took from classical portrait paintings and it was evident in a number of photos particularly of young women. 


 The other thing that part particularly grabbed my attention and emotions was the video of school kids at the Tate Liverpool looking at Picasso's Weeping Woman.

The video is I see a woman crying .You can find anything on YouTube! The thinking processes the kids go through and the ideas they express is a great teaching moment for teachers- give them time to listen to each other and they will come up with amazing ideas and perspectives.

 The joy of the exercise didn't finish there for me as I had yet to have my journey home...

field of summer flowers outside the Plaza Hotel, okay the garden beds but there were a lot of them

 the wonderful 111th birthday windows of Bergdorf goodman
 the delight in finding a new sign (well new to me at least) 6 1/2 . It is new I just googled it. Thank goodness- i thought i was far too unobservant!

No comments:

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...