Saturday, January 2, 2010

Spirit- my word for 2010


Reading through blogs and message boards and chats with others I have been privy to others' processes for creating New Year Resolutions/ Goals. One aspect I found intriguing was the selection of a word to prompt one through the year.
After much thinking and reflecting (some may be surprised to hear this!) I have decided that SPIRIT is my word for 2010.

"Have you lost the plot Celia!" I can hear some say but no the word has a huge range of foci and meanings, it can mean ....
  • A vital force that characterizes a living being as being alive
  • Somebody’s will, sense of self or enthusiasm for living
  • Somebody’s attitude or state of mind
  • A sense of enthusiasm and loyalty that somebody feels through belonging to a group
  • The intention behind something
  • A prevailing mood or outlook characteristic of a time or place
  • A strong alcoholic liquor!
  • An essence
  • To take somebody away quickly or in secret

Spirit is also synonymous with

  • Strength
  • Courage
  • Character
  • Strength of mind
  • Inner self
  • Attitude
  • Determination
  • Heart
  • Essence

And following on from Chris' and Rinda (Maria)'s inspiration at Get it Scrapped! a few quotes I've found...


"Let your mind start a journey thru a strange new world. Leave all thoughts of the world you knew before. Let your soul take you where you long to be...Close your eyes let your spirit start to soar, and you'll live as you've never lived before.”

Erich Fromm



“Never forget that it is the spirit with which you endow your work that makes it useful or futile”

Adelaide Hasse


"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"

Albert Einstein


"Deep listening is miraculous for both listener and speaker. When someone receives us with open-hearted, non-judging, intensely interested listening, our spirits expand."
Sue Patton Teole



And so this year one of my resolutions is to live my life with SPIRIT!

5 comments:

Mary C. said...

Excellent post Celia! I am inspired by your research and understanding of your word.
I think it is an excellent choice.

Chris aka Scrappylassie said...

Me too,what Mary said and I love the blog title, " a thinking walk" as I went back and forth between "thoughtful"(not only in a caring sense, but in putting thought into choosing what I do this year...and footprints.
Love the quotes, was really into Erich Fromm in highschool...and also definitions. Happy New Year!

Linda said...

Oh Celia, you have put it all together so creatively and with such thought. I love how you described your word with many different guotes and definitions. You inspire me to put more thought into my word too. I can see it is going to be a wonderful 2010.

Barb said...

Love your choice of word for the year. I think it is a great word.

And how I love those pictures. Those are fabulous!!!

Wishing you a very happy and blessed new year.

scrapweaver said...

OK so perfect! Beautiful photos. And I love the choice of word, so you! And the research behind it is as well.

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...