Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy New Year!

What a glorious day sharing parts of this wonderful city with my great friend Fran!

We started in Brooklyn Heights in our long days journey into...Manhattan.

We happened upon WH Auden plaque which proclaimed that Auden had written the poem "A New Year's Letter" there in an apartment on the top floor. How appropriate for us, in our touring on New Year's day.
 I did a little research and here is a snippet....

From W.H. Auden's "A New Year's Letter":
O every day in sleep and labour
Our life and death are with our neighbour,
And love illuminates again
The city and the lion's den,
The world's great rage, the travel of young men.


Proclaiming my ignorance of his body of work, I knew his name was familiar however it wasn't until said research that I realized I knew the name because it was his poem that was the eulogy (poem) in Four weddings and a funeral.

 
 


The walk down by the Watchtower building and then up and onto the Brooklyn Bridge.

A coolish walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.

And then a subway trip to the Highline!

I did part of the first of one of my 13 in 13 #5 new places I haven't been before- I hadn't been to the end of the Highline on 30th Street and now I have!


The art work on walls

The wit and humour in windows
More wit and humour

This graffiti reminded me of Dina Wakley's scribble lesson
 We then walked home to 48th Street for a restorative cuppa.
We made it in time to our Top of the Rock booking and the light fading with the lights coming up.







And capped off the day with dinner at Ellen's Stardust Diner and the singing wait staff!

No comments:

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...