Monday, October 3, 2011

Blog-tober Second

 I have based myself on St Croix but one of the schools I'm working in is on St John. In order to get there I need to fly via seaplane (20 minute flight) to St Thomas

St Thomas

and then taxi/car across the island to the ferry terminal and an 18 minute ferry ride to St John where the school is just up the hill from the ferry. It sounds smooth going however the first plane on any day is 6:40am so arrive at 7am. The taxi ride is 20-30 minutes. The ferries run on the hour every hour so the first ferry I could catch is the 8am ferry arriving half an hour late for work!

So here I am staying in St Thomas and heading for St John on Tuesday morning.

The adventure of taking the seaplane involves arriving not too early before the flight and having every item weighed that you are taking on board and then telling them how much you weigh all in order for them to distribute the weight evenly.
One sits on the outdoor setting chairs under beach umbrellas waiting for them to call you to the departure tent.


 One gets to sit there briefly then makes ones way to the allocated weight distributed seat on the plane. The pilot or co-pilot then announces the safety briefing by shouting/ talking loudly down the plane


where exits are and safety devices and then one heads off on the journey across the Caribbean Sea



2 comments:

Terry said...

so good to see you posting again! I haven't been too good at keeping up either. Of course--you are traveling again. Sometimes I sure envy all the places you get to see. Take care!

Tamarra said...

Me too I squealed when I saw new articles in my feed reader :)

Love the photographs and love living vicariously through your travels.

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...