Saturday, October 8, 2011

Blog-tober Eighth

Today is three years on since Maddy (my step mother) died. I have flicked through some of my photos and want to share those aspects of her that are  in me or why i do and notice certain things...

She introduced me to an appreciation of art and galleries especially on our trip to the Guggenheim exhibition in Sydney  years and years ago.
Getty Museum in California
 The times we sat and waited to go into an exhibition or made use of the facilities in the gallery or knew that you could get a good soup and lunch in the gallery.
Getty Museum
 The love of theatre- she got me started through subscribing to MTC and taking me to the theatre to see ballet and drama and the occasional light opera. Art House movies were things I'd accompany her to.
Kevin Spacy often does the kind of films and plays she and I would attend. This bad photo was at the TONYs a red carpet
 When traveling in Ireland she told me I should start acquiring "nice things". The patchwork rug is a result of that conversation albeit two years later.

My rug from Rhodes
 A gardener and birdwatcher. I take photos of flowers because they are lovely but she is always there looking too.
 She taught me how to remember the street order of the Melbourne grid and we'd meet under the clocks at Flinders Street.
Flinders Street Station Melbourne

Always on the hunt for a bird picture
 She loved succulent plants- but only in her "later years". She once told me she couldn't understand why her aunts used to love them s and that she found she too had begun to love collecting them.
Her love of succulents is why I took this photo

And this one too
 She was a teacher librarian and I became one too... loving kids books is her gift to me
Shaun Tan at the PEN writers festival
 She helped Michele and I buy our first home..
This has changed since the renovation

 

 Her garden as it was but is no longer.

2 comments:

Barb said...

What a great way to honor your step mother. Thanks for the peak inside of who you are and why. She had a profound influence on you and lives on through you because of it.

Love the pictures to go with your lovely story.

Michele said...

Lovely Ceel. Great memories and links

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...