Monday, October 17, 2011

Blog-tober Sixteenth

I decided to take advantage of the early waking and the pleasant weather and took  a stroll through the city as has been my wont in the past.
In my serendipitous walk along 51st St I hadn't noticed or known of this building or organization.



 Perhaps it was the lack of parked cars that enabled me to notice it and then the decorative building was interesting. A little research ....
The present building was planned in the early 1930's designed by noted architect, Frederick Rhinelander King, and built at 3 West 51st Street on the site of the former home of Andrew Carnegie. The cornerstone was laid amid much fanfare and press attention on May 22, 1933, and the new clubhouse was formally opened on March 26, 1934, at ceremonies attended by national, state and local Republican dignitaries.



Then further along in the environs of the Rockefeller Center and Radio City Music Hall my own architecture tour or at least building decoration tour.
By the time I got to 5th Avenue I was on a roll and went into St Thomas'- walked past many a time but never been in.
I continued to be on the lookout for the things I hadn't noticed before and there on a pillar at the front of the Plaza Hotel was....
The Plaza Hotel Barometer- is it social change it records?
One can't be so close to the park and not go in...

1 comment:

Barb said...

I love looking for things I never noticed before. So much of life passes us by because we don't really see what we look at!! Great shots, Celia.

I am so confused. Are you back in the City?

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...