Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Blog-tober Fourth

 My version of working in the Virgin Islands has me pinching myself to be sure it is me that is doing this.
The school I was at today was on St John- the only way I can to get to St John is by ferry from St Thomas. Most of my work is in St Croix (pronounced to rhyme with "boy" that is "croy"). So here I am staying at a resort as close as I can get to the ferry and St John because the places in St John are far more expensive than St Thomas. And the school is only a short walk from the ferry.
I was planning to catch the 7am ferry which meant I needed to get a taxi at 6:30- I am only 4 minutes by taxi to the ferry terminal but I was told it is really crowded at that time.
At 6am I asked the reception desk to call a taxi for me- good thing I wanted to go at 6:30 as the cabs only start at 6:30am. Got myself organized with a breakfast bar and out to the foyer for the taxi which arrived eventually. He got me to the ferry terminal in 4 minutes but he didn't have any change so hopefully when I leave tomorrow I'll have the same driver and be in credit!
One of the arches in a walkway in Christiansted
Strode confidently into the ferry terminal to find no one behind the ticket counter and very few people around. I asked a coffee-drinking-disinterested  woman where one buys a ticket for the ferry, I knew where but it seemed a more non judgmental question as opposed to "where is the person who is supposed to be selling tickets for the 7am ferry?". Once she understood what I was asking she very belligerently informed me that the ferry wasn't until 7:30 so there'd be someone selling then. I squeaked "7:30??" and she went on to inform me that ferries run at 6:30, 7:30 and then on the hour every hour until... I didn't hear that bit. I was thinking how late am I going to be!
Nothing I could do but get a coffee and wait. It was a very bad decision... I went to a coffee stand- at first I stopped at the rum selling place and realized my mistake- the coffee stand I asked for a coffee with milk, he poured the coffee....can you calling it pouring when it come out of an urn via a tap? The coffee seller said the milk, sugar etc are on the counter in front of me. I didn't hear what the etc was as I glanced down as he was indicating where these treats were and there was the "milk" an opened can of carnation milk with a coffee cup lid on top to keep bugs off/out I guess. I do not like carnation milk very much. Yuck ws my response- not sure if I actually verbalized that to the coffee seller.
I had time to fill in until the ferry arrived- ring Michele to see how she is (recovering from pneumonia and getting our new kitchen installed- check it all out here) In talking with her she asked about cows and milk- they would have to have two legs shorter than the other two to manage on the hills on St Thomas. Her question reminded me that I have mainly seen long life milk in places here although I bought milk but the carton in St Croix.

The weather encourages plants to grow everywhere1
 Eventually the coffee-drinking-disinterested  woman moved in to ticket selling area to become the talking-on-her-mobile-phone-disinterested ticket seller. Got my round trip tickets for the ferry and waited in the queue to get on the ferry which had now arrived from St John. The majority of the passengers were school kids coming from St John to St Thomas schools. The state schools here (US Virgin Islands) all have school uniforms. The style is the same just the colour combinations are different. The "lucky" kids at this school have pink shirts/tops and burgundy skirts and I think burgundy trousers/pants. I know for sure there ws an overwhelming feeling of burgundy and pink.
Watching these pink/burgundy clad kids pour off the ferry was interesting- mainly middle school and I guess high school carrying overstuffed bags of books and in some cases nothing at all- hmmm weren't they going to have a good day at school. One kid was carrying his football protection gear, another girl was already dressed in her sport uniform... and then there were two girls... 16 or 17 at most  one walking with, the other holding their toddlers.
Eventually we boarded the ferry and I had a glorious 20 minute commute to work- sitting on the top deck ruining my hair in the wind, enjoying the warm outdoors, the view of the islands all around and watching a seagull (I think) dive into sea at the side of the boat. A really tough commute.
It was a delightful spot for Sunday brunch
The return journey at the end of the day held just as many interesting commuters. I found it difficult to get stuck into work when I got back to my room so settled on a swim in the warm salty sea that is only metres from my doorstep.

1 comment:

Barb said...

What a day! You deserved that swim. Getting all these things down will sure make you days a lot easier!! Hope all at least went well at school!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...