Monday, October 3, 2011

Blog-tober Third

Early morning at the sea plane
 I foolishly didn't bring my uploader of photos thingy with me to St Thomas so can't show any of here until i get back to St Croix. However i will include some photos of aspects of life and sights around.
I was feeling very ordinary in the first few days here and didn't finally establish the cause until the first weekend.
I had an enormous number of insect bites on my lower legs- I was initially thought perhaps bed bugs then i thought perhaps fleas from the taxi and then at brunch on the first weekend Sarah a local reassured me that they were indeed tiny little bugs that had bitten me. She called them "nosms" well that's all i could make out of what she called them. Little black things about as big as two grains of pepper (from a pepper grinder). I had about 45 one one leg and about 35 on the other, so perhaps the combined "poison" from them indeed made me ill. It wasn't until i saw the name written that i realized what they are called and appropriately names "no-see-ums"
I and the bites have recovered although I now have a few more bites.
Blue and clouds

3 comments:

Barb said...

Celia. Where have you been? I must have totally missed you were going to be gone. Have wondered what is up.

I have enjoyed all your posts but didn't stop to comment on each one. I am just glad to hear you are fine.

I can relate to those no see um bugs. When we first moved to Florida they really ate up my hubby. Haven't had a problem since. I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't what made you feel so yukky!!

Glad to read your blog and know you are OK. Take care and enjoy!

Michele said...

Great Photo, Just imagining the view as we chatted last night. Hope you get the travel schedules organised!

Michele said...

Just got Blog-tober!! Thought it was an alternative because you were out in the islands and had to use another server!! We have Sob-tober No alcohol (sober) for October Not sure I am going to join!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...