Monday, October 17, 2011

Blog-tober seventeenth

 It was a day of work but things didn't quite work out the way it was planned so I came home. The cleaner was here so I decided to try out the little Japanese place that I had noticed ages ago on one of my walks to Grand Central. Katsu Hama- Michele will immediately know what was on the menu - yep ton-katsu!All well and good for Michele to know I realize this Barb but here is a little more research information...
invented in the late 19th century, is a popular dish in Japan. It consists of a breaded, deep-fried pork cutlet one to two centimeters thick and sliced into bite-sized pieces, generally served with shredded cabbage and/or miso soup. Either a pork fillet (ヒレ, hire) or pork loin (ロース, rōsu) cut may be used; the meat is usually salted, peppered, dredged lightly in flour, dipped into beaten egg and then coated with panko (bread crumbs) before being deep fried.
It was introduced to Japan by the Portuguese. It was originally considered a type of yōshoku—Japanese versions of European cuisine invented in the late 19th and early 20th centuries—and was called katsuretsu (cutlet) or simply katsu.

And so I entered and enjoyed a wonderful Japanese lunch. I learned things on the way. I was sitting next to two Japanese business men (good choice of restaurant by me!) When the bowl with roasted  sesame seeds and pestle  was presented to me I watched what they casually did...

Sesame seeds with pestle and bowl

so I ground the sesame seeds and then added some of the katsu sauce using the little scoop from the little pot already on the table...

Katsu sauce
 Then the ton katsu arrived...





It was the most tender and delicious ton katsu I have had outside Japan.

2 comments:

Barb said...

Yum. I haven't eaten today yet and that looks great! Thanks for the info! Had NO idea!! I am dieting, lost 60 pounds, but still, I am getting the mood for food now for sure! That sauce sounds really great, too!!

Michele said...

Looks mouth watering! The mortar and pestle is a trendy thing!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...