Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Blog-tober twelfth

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/hopper/interior/hopper.chop-suey.jpg
Chop Suey

 I really love Edward Hopper's paintings. What I like about them, as in this one, is that they are a "snapshot" of life- interior scenes, giving insight into a small part of a whole view and capturing the essence of that scene or moment. 
I was asked during the week what did I like to photograph and explained using Hopper's work as an example. I don't try to tell a story as many of his paintings do but I do want to capture the essence of what I am seeing...that being said here are my photos of the Fort at Christiansted, St Croix.


The path and entrance.
 Christiansted is so obviously influenced by the Danish "occupation". The colours of buildings and the design of many things around the city.


The shapes and colours and lines


The arsenal of rifles from a former time

The storage of powder and bullets?



The markings on the canon

1 comment:

Barb said...

What great pictures!! I love seeing things from different places. Odd that I do not like to travel. I love the feel and thought that these things are as familiar and normal feeling to those in that area as mine are to me in my daily life. Hard to explain the feeling.

Love when you share your pics. You do a great job!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...