Thursday, October 7, 2010

Catching up

 In an effort to be sure that I keep up with my blog I thought I'd post these photos... perhaps not of the high standard one may expect but they are taken on my new iphone and taken in the midst of a travel story.
I was to meet Alice at 178th Street near the George Washington Bridge- she'd drive in from Jersey and pick me up on the corner and we'd head out to a couple of new schools to meet and greet and get started working.

The school changed the time and so we had a couple of phone conversations about times of pick. I did what I sometimes do (read on a fairly regular basis) I knew I needed to be there at 9:45am and thought I should leave home at 8:45am so I found the right spot and it was going to rain so I allowed for rain. I know the subway probably isn't as affected by rain as are the roads however keep with me.... In the morning as I preparing to make my departure I remade my calculations of timing to ensure that I had it right. So 8:45am stuck in my mind and I knew I needed the hour so off I headed at 7:45am. Yep I was an hour early.
 Having rung Alice and left a message  to let her know I was where we were going to connect I realized "oh no! I'm an hour early!" So I headed into the bus station having taken the photos of the slick roads and trying to get a decent one of me using the reverse thingy on my iphone. I chopped myself off in the vain hope that I would look slimmer!

I decided I would just sit it out until about the time Alice was due. She got my message and rang and said "Celia, you're an hour early! I'm on my way!" I told her not to rush. Silly me, i should have said fly here as fast as you can.
I sat there for close to three hours! The river had flooded and the traffic on the bridge was a nightmare (apparently) and to cap it off because my phone was new and I'd been playing games and reading books I'd forgotten how essential it is to recharge it regularly (like each night!). It was also a little stressful as I thought the phone would die before I was able to finally connect with Alice. So I sat there watching the pigeons strut around looking for food and all manner of weird and normal people make their way in and through the bus station. I kept thinking of that scene in Adventures in Babysitting at the bus station, there is a little bit in this clip.
All's well though and we made it, late, to the two schools!

1 comment:

Barb said...

It never fails, does it? Golly. Three hours!!! At least in the end, you made it!!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...