Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sundays in Manahattan

 Glancing out my window early on Sunday my immediate thought was "Oh the markets are still drifting across the avenues of Manhattan!" The scene above was the stall holder beginning to set up.
 So that eventually there are stalls selling all manner of things food is prevalent as are clothing, sheets, jewelry and people! The "fairs" happen every Saturday and Sunday during daylight saving I think and are in a different avenue each time. They begin I guess on 1st then the next day 2nd etc etc until the reach 11th I guess again. Then start over, each week in the next avenue. I presume they'll be in 8th next week. I'll have to check!

Someone will have to give up their spot either the guys with the float or the stall holders. I again came across the procession with the band player and the "religious float". This time on 8th. They were beginning to travel up 8th. The band played then the carriers of the float started swaying slowly from side to side in time to the music then a man began pushing them forward which seemed to give them enough momentum to keep swaying and walking.
I headed into the supermarket and they began to disappear up 8th Avenue

1 comment:

Barb said...

Just love these photos, Celia! I can see why my son loves NY! There always seems to be something going on!!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...