Saturday, October 23, 2010

A day in the theatre

 This seat is where I spent most of my day.


I went to see "Gatz" at the Public Theatre.

Advertised as "A theatrical tour de force, Gatz is conceived as a single six-hour production in which an ensemble of 13 actors bring to live every word of the novel with no text added and none removed. Gatz is a one-of-a-kind theatrical event defined by its radical commitment to one of the 20th century's greatest novels." Here's a link to video clips and photos.
The advertising goes on to say "Gatz is best experienced in a single day and we strongly encourage you to see it that way. Part One is Chapters 1-5. Part Two is chapters 6-9. There is a one-hour meal break between Parts One and Two." So I took their recommendation and took myself to the Public Theatre and I am soooo glad I did.




The show was fantastic in its conception and delivery. The actors remarkable in their capacity to do such an intense piece and maintain it in strength of performance and consistency of delivery. The spontaneous, immediate and genuine standing ovation at the end of 8 hours and 15 minutes (this includes the meal break) was certainly an indication of how the entire audience felt.



 The dinner break not only gave me time to stretch my legs but also time to wander , ever so briefly, through another section of NYC. I chose this restaurant.



It was daylight when I went in but getting dark by 7pm. Autumn is upon us!







Further evidence of autumn- the plentiful harvest being celebrated?! This little pumpkin was near the doors to the bathrooms at the restaurant.

1 comment:

Barb said...

Wonderful. I am going to tell my son about it. Sounds like a great thing to see!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...