Friday, March 12, 2010

Family and friends Friday

Jane's challenge really struck a chord with me. The challenge went like this...

Today we are going to think about the past. I made a comment on one of Linda's layouts in the gallery, where she talked about remembering the smell of baking in her Mother's kitchen, about how her writing had brought back memories of fresh baking bread in the kitchen of my own childhood. There are other smells that I recall, every so often I will walk past somewhere and suddenly get a wiff of some perfume or odour and suddenly I will be transported back to another time and another place and recall a situation or a person vividly - like they are right there in the room with me or I am reliving the event over again.
So is there a smell, a fragrance or perfume that brings back vivid memories for you? Is there an odour that triggers a memory for you when you come across it? Not all odours are pleasant ones; perhaps a particular odour brings back a memory of an unhappy incident. Whichever the case, your challenge today is to blog about smells.


For me the really quick and strong memory comes from wood smoke. Especially if it is also a damp morning with wood smoke in the air. I am immediately transported to Bacchus Marsh , Victoria and walking down the long stretch of road to the shops carrying Auntie Flora's shopping basket on an errand to buy whatever is needed for that day's lunch and dinner. The path seems long for a 9 year old it is downhill (slightly) all the way which means it is uphill (steeper) all the way back. Most houses seemed to have open fires and on damp mornings, in particular, that smell of wood smoke lingered.  Must try and get photos of the area or even just find ones that evoke that feeling and place... then scrap it of course.

1 comment:

Barb said...

Aren't those memories just great? I believe memories are one of God's greatest blessings. It keeps so many things alive for us.

Thanks for sharing, Celia, and hope you find those perfect pics.

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...