Thursday, January 27, 2011

It was Australia Day

And how did I mark it? Not at all really. I guess that is possibly a good thing as some view the date and celebration skeptically as it marks, for the indigenous people of Australia, the invasion of their land. Some things may have changed a little and some processes put in place to rectify some of the injustices done to the Aboriginal people, perhaps it is a day for me to try to make a difference in some respect for them...if I knew what to do I would do it.

Perhaps the day is a good time to think about what it is to be Australian...apart from the accent. We are more than just a country where kangaroos bound ...and bound they did down the straight at the Hanging Rock race track.

A kangaroo runs its lone race at Hanging Rock. 
A kangaroo runs its lone race at Hanging Rock. Photo: Michelle van Kampen


We are more than people in a country with unusual animals, the country is geographically isolated and with that not only have unusual animals and plants developed and remain but the country and its people are a unique blend of the ordinary and extraordinary.

Melbourne skyline

It is impossible to say that we are all the same but there is something relaxed about the people of Australia, the easiness and openness with which they greet you. There is also a fierce loyalty to our home/place demonstrated in a range of ways from loyalty, pride and defensiveness about our cities, our land, our flora and fauna, our footy teams, our football codes, our sporting prowess, our weather, our arts scene and our artists, our intellectuals, our writers and our society, for a country of 21 million it is amazing.

Wattle in Central Ave
 
Australia has a population of 20 600 000, the land area is 7686850 square kilometres- the population density is approximately 2.7 per square kilometre.
The USA has a population of 303 825 000, the land area is 9629091 square kilometres- the population density is approximately 31.6 per square kilometre.

A lousy photo of Geoffrey Rush in Melbourne
In comparing the size of the population and the achievements of Australians world wide we are indeed a  great country and one to celebrate on Australia Day.

2 comments:

Barb said...

This was the most interesting post, Celia. Got me to checking.

In the county next to where I live the population density is 951 per square mile. Bad enough. But the county we live in it is 3,292 per square mile!! Add to that the tourists and it makes for a hard place to be alone!!! LOL

Last I heard in these two counties, two of the heaviest populated counties in Florida, there were 2 million people!!

I would love that 2.7!!!

Thanks for the great info and the wonderful pictures.

I love the one of the street!

Oh...I should mention, I was raised in the farm country of Ohio so I have experienced both sides of the coin. I love them both. They both are unique unto themselves.

Terry said...

wow this was like a history lesson for me! I would love to visit Australia some time.

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...