Saturday, January 22, 2011

Where was this when I needed it!

Each Saturday I read The Big Fresh- a weekly mag that comes online from Choice Literacy. Often it contains a really interesting editorial and they lead me on to other thoughts and places of interest. Today the following was part of an article about An Attitude of Gratitude by Heather Rader

I learned not everyone is a "words of affirmation" and chocolate fan when I read the book The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. In simple summary, the book reminded me that everyone likes to receive in different ways. Five ways, in fact: Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service, and Physical Touch. My primary love language is Quality Time -- when I have undivided attention, it meets my needs in a powerful way.
 Love languages in the workplace require some minor revisions. For example, while physical touch might be someone's love language, there is less of an opportunity to explore that professionally, leaving us with four:
Words of Affirmation - Written or spoken? There is a difference. Some people love to have their work publicly acknowledged, while others (like me) appreciate a thoughtful handwritten note.
Quality Time - Personal or professional? Some educators appreciate the time to talk about their lives outside of school, while others really want to focus on work.
Receiving Gifts - What kind? What do people get energy from? One office professional I worked with loved cinnamon, another treasured fruit juices, still another valued great books. Knowing the difference makes a difference.
Acts of Service - One day many years ago, my principal brought me a cup of steaming hot tea while I was teaching. I've never forgotten that. Good Earth tea, as a matter of fact. Another colleague wrote sub plans for me so I could be a labor coach for my friend's birth (the day before Spring Break). That sticks with me, and I think of it whenever I see her.
Any leadership position in education requires communication with many different people. 

Reading this I was immediately back at one of the schools in which I was principal and trying to work through the issues raised by our staff survey that indicated that some of the staff felt as though they weren't appropriately acknowledged. It was such a battle to try to work out how to meet each of their needs so that they felt suitably appreciated and not feel as though they were either taken for granted or ignored. If only I had had this article and these suggestions for ways to identify people's ways of being affirmed in their work.
Perhaps I can share it with those I work with here and make the most of this knowledge even if it is a little later than I would have hoped for.

2 comments:

Barb said...

What a great read, Celia! These were great. I think, that perhaps now, having had this set before your at this time, it might be alerting telling you to heed what you have taken in. Perhaps someone is on the forefront that is really going to need this from you?

I am happy that I was able to read it today. A practice I intend to use.

Thanks!

Tamarra said...

I want to read this book Angie recommended it at our Happiness Project book club.

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...