Sunday, January 2, 2011

A new year- changing my mind?

An article in the New York Times today provided me with affirmation for the process Michele and I use for formulating our goals for the year as well as food for thought.
Oliver Sacks  wrote...
NEW Year’s resolutions often have to do with eating more healthfully, going to the gym more, giving up sweets, losing weight — all admirable goals aimed at improving one’s physical health. Most people, though, do not realize that they can strengthen their brains in a similar way.
While some areas of the brain are hard-wired from birth or early childhood, other areas — especially in the cerebral cortex, which is central to higher cognitive powers like language and thought, as well as sensory and motor functions — can be, to a remarkable extent, rewired as we grow older.
That the brain is capable of such radical adaptation raises deep questions. To what extent are we shaped by, and to what degree do we shape, our own brains? And can the brain’s ability to change be harnessed to give us greater cognitive powers? The experiences of many people suggest that it can.
Neuroplasticity — the brain’s capacity to create new pathways — is a crucial part of recovery for anyone who loses a sense or a cognitive or motor ability. But it can also be part of everyday life for all of us. While it is often true that learning is easier in childhood, neuroscientists now know that the brain does not stop growing, even in our later years. Every time we practice an old skill or learn a new one, existing neural connections are strengthened and, over time, neurons create more connections to other neurons. Even new nerve cells can be generated.
I have had many reports from ordinary people who take up a new sport or a musical instrument in their 50s or 60s, and not only become quite proficient, but derive great joy from doing so. Eliza Bussey, a journalist in her mid-50s who now studies harp at the Peabody conservatory in Baltimore, could not read a note of music a few years ago. In a letter to me, she wrote about what it was like learning to play Handel’s “Passacaille”: “I have felt, for example, my brain and fingers trying to connect, to form new synapses. ... I know that my brain has dramatically changed.” Ms. Bussey is no doubt right: her brain has changed.
Music is an especially powerful shaping force, for listening to and especially playing it engages many different areas of the brain, all of which must work in tandem: from reading musical notation and coordinating fine muscle movements in the hands, to evaluating and expressing rhythm and pitch, to associating music with memories and emotion.
Whether it is by learning a new language, traveling to a new place, developing a passion for beekeeping or simply thinking about an old problem in a new way, all of us can find ways to stimulate our brains to grow, in the coming year and those to follow. Just as physical activity is essential to maintaining a healthy body, challenging one’s brain, keeping it active, engaged, flexible and playful, is not only fun. It is essential to cognitive fitness.
Oliver Sacks is the author of “The Mind’s Eye.”

I know it is a lot of reading but to get to the point for me it affirmed that our process of goal setting each year as part of the resolution process-  I think resolutions should be goals makes them more active, purposeful and achievable- since about 1995 we have set goals using our own little acronym WHI ME? We set two action goals in each category Work, Health, Intellectual, Monetary and Emotional. First we score the previous year's goals and laugh about how close we were or weren't to achieving them and then set new ones.  I like the purposefulness of it and it helps me with my weekly Covey style reflections and feeling that I am making the most of the moments.

Back to the article- we often struggle with what we should include in both emotional and intellectual but this article has really affirmed that we should do it and that the intellectual goal doesn't need to be  highfalutin just needs to be learning something new or traveling to a new place! Right up my alley I have to say!
Happy New Year and hope all is bright and happy too in your part of the world.

2 comments:

Barb said...

What a great article and one I totally agree with!! DH and I are great believers of brain power. Especially the untapped brain power.

I officially turned 64 today and with that it leads me to do a lot of thinking along the lines of what do I see ahead!! LOL

Looking forward to reading your blog this year and seeing where it leads me. You always give me something to ponder!! Thanks, Celia!!

Elizabeth Marie said...

I'm wondering why I have no books by Oliver Sacks in my library. I bought Musicophilia for my musician husband a few years ago. This post makes me want to try to teach myself electric guitar again. I have one, but I've been putting off learning due to... what? I don't know.

My daughter's former piano teacher told us about a study she read that said students who sight read a previously unknown piece of music just before they took a test scored higher on the test than others who didn't. And, OK, I have NO idea what study this is, but it makes sense to me. I've watched my daughter sit at the piano and sight read a new piece of music then sit down and plow through math or science homework.

Goals. I like goals so much better than resolutions. I like how gentle you are with yourselves when you look at what goals you did and didn't meet.

And, golly, you'd think after all those words I wrote about the teens last night that I wouldn't have any words left! ha!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...