Thursday, January 13, 2011

It should have been a snow day!

Some very unflattering things were said about the Mayor of NYC today. I was awake early in anticipation of seeing the announcement that today was a snow day and a day off for myself and all public schools and public school students and teachers. The snow had built overnight and only stopped around 4am. Looking out on Broadway and on 48th St the surface didn't look as though it was safe and given that I was going to the Bronx and I knew that the roads wouldn't be very clear there- not that I needed clear roads just reliable subway trains- I was sure the day would be declared a snow day.
However despite all my sending of vibes and dire warning via mental telepathy to the mayor it was proudly announced (don't shoot the messenger said the announcer on NY1 TV news) that public schools would be open.

You've got to be joking Mr Mayor!- I knew that it was going to be a nightmare to travel to work- they were saying if you can stay indoors and don't venture out- so twas okay for teachers and kids and parents to try and get to distant locations but not others? So I headed out into the grey dawn- lit by Broadway's lights.

The along 48th from Broadway

Just showing the snow accumulation

Step out of the train into this?
 A first for me... the train pulled into the station at 183rd street and I had to step into 8 inches of untouched snow. Then walked across to the trail others had made making their way out of the station.

Felt a bit like singing Good King Wenceslas - "in his masters steps he trod"

Digging out ones car was  what many had to do
The dark of the bark, the bright white of the snow, the blue sky... lovely!
Many teachers and parents found it all too much and so there were only half the staff and half the students in the school. 
The path up the "hill" to the school
the pristine snow in the park along the way

The pristine snow in the school's front yard

The snow covered playground
 Despite the "inconvenience" of going to work in the snow was actually outwieghed by the beauty of the scenes along the way. It also meant I don't have to try to "make up" the day.

I became a tad inspired by the snow views and thought the walk home tonight could be via Central Park and so I did...it was gogeous.

The view of the bridge that is in all the pictures available on the streets of NYC

The lake is frozen and snow covered
Couldn't resist yet another shot of dark branches and sparkling snow
 And so at the end of the day I have to say I am really pleased I got out there in amongst all that beautiful snow.

1 comment:

Barb said...

Great positive attitude!! I loved those early morning pictures as you walked to work. Does it bother you to walk alone so early in the morning? It seems it would be a real time of peacefulness. I enjoyed this blog!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...