Thursday, January 6, 2011

Along the way

It was on my way to the R train this morning that I managed to get a smile as I looked at one of the street carts' set up. I had taken photos of it once before as it has flashing display lights on the side. It was most appropriate being so close to Times Square. The cart had upgraded their flashing sign with New Year's greetings from the cart crew. I'm heading that way again tomorrow so will try and get a photo.
This wasn't the end of my day of observations of food carts in Manhattan. Walking home from 59th and Lexington, on a street corner near 6th Avenue I think, there was a regular food cart but this one had a frame around it for protecting workers and customers alike from wind and rain- like those entry ways they put on restaurant doorways during winter- it was a food cart with an annexe. Not far away was a very basic cart with only an umbrella providing protection from the weather.
Finally as I crossed Broadway I noticed that they have finally moved the "ball" back up the pole a bit and lighted it again. It will stay there until next New Year's Eve.

Michele has gone, left, departed! And is heading back to Australia well she's on her way to San Francisco at the moment but will be back in Footscray by this time tomorrow night. It has been fantastic having her here sharing NYC with her and lots of laughs and fun times. We do "get on" well and are so lucky that we do. It was good to savour our friendship.

1 comment:

Barb said...

While holidays are just great it is rather hard to see them pass. Decorations down, gifts revealed, friends and family go home. Back to the humdrum of our everyday world. Ah, but that is what makes them so special!!!

I didn't know about the ball going back up and being lit till next year. There. I learned something for today. Now I can call it a night!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...