Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Getting sorted

It doesn't pay to rush things, especially my blog! Earlier in the month I wanted to post my invitation to the Photography Exhibition which I did but in doing so I took the quick way out and inserted the table which i had used for the invitation format. In doing so I completely mucked up (I have to say I used far stronger words at the time) my blog- perhaps you noticed the ginormous font for some components of this witty little tome? And the choice of pink for the large declaration of "Followers". I was practically shouting all over the place. However you will notice I have it sorted and created a bit of a different look for the blog at the moment.
Now I still need to catch up on the days of February as I did so well in January-every date blogged.

The process of getting sorted continued to be the theme of the day. Part of my goal while here was to tackle the bungalow.

Our bungalow is, as is tradition, is out the back of the house in fact it is at the back of the back yard and the back wall of it forms the back fence to out property- the line between our property and the neighbours behind.

According to Wikipedia ....
A bungalow is a type of house, with varying meanings across the world. Common features to many (but not all) of these definitions include being detached, low-rise (single, or one-and-a-half storeys), and the use of verandahs. The term originated in India, deriving from the Gujarati બંગલો baṅgalo, which in turn derives from the Hindustani बंगला baṅglā, meaning "Bengali" and used elliptically for a "house in the Bengal style". Such houses were traditionally small, only one story and thatched, and had a wide veranda.
The term is first found in English from 1696, where it was used to describe "bungales or hovells" in India for English sailors of the East India Company. They were known in Britain and later America, where it initially had high status and exotic connotations, and began to be used in the late 19th century for large country or suburban houses built in an Arts and Crafts or other Western vernacular style - essentially as large cottages, a term also sometimes used. Australia, the California bungalow was popular after the First World War. In Britain and North America a bungalow today is a residential house, normally detached, which is either single story, or has a second story built into a sloping roof, usually with dormer windows ("one and a half storeys"). Full vertical walls are therefore only seen on one story, at least on the front and rear elevations. Usually the houses are relatively small, especially from recent decades, though early examples may be large, in which case the term bungalow tends not to be used today. Later it became used for the spacious homes or official lodgings of officials of the Later developers began to use the term for smaller houses.

Fascinating? Forget all that and go back to the first part of the the description/history which uses the words "hovel' and "low rise" and "detached" because that is what our bungalow is. It could tell some wonderful stories as it has accommodated lots of people over the years we have lived here. It has two rooms and each room has a window out into the yard- they even open. It is accessed by traversing the backyard and in bad times avoiding the clothes on the clothes line and the "barkers eggs". It has electricity but no water so access to the bathroom facilities is gained by traversing the yard and coming in to the house. And so to my day and goal which was to help prepare the second room for Michele's god daughter Michelle to reside in. She is starting a Fashion Design course and needs accommodation. We really can't accommodate her until there is room for her things. So I spent 6 hours doing what I do best, well one of the things I do best- apart from sleeping (got 8 hours on the plane)- I tidied and sorted and extracted the junk from the treasures that have been accumulating in the bungalow. 
All that is left to do now is sort out my snowdomes- some serious decisions need to be made and sort out some of my books.  I have to admit I am a tad achy now- it was a very warm day and I kept myself at it taking advantage of the "fog" of jet lag where one's brain is quite numb.


1 comment:

Barb said...

Love the picture. Just don't over do!! It is easy to do too much when you are out to "get it done"!!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...