Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A day indoors

It has been cooler- cool enough to have the heater on to take the chill off the air. It is Melbourne after all and I think it (Melbourne) lived up to its reputation of four seasons in one day.
 I needed a day that was a little more solitary.
Photojojo had some links to people's photo pages that really require setting up Kids dreams and
Cats dreams

Time spent filtering junk doesn't make necessarily for a good blog post so a trip to the list blog and today's questions...

1. Any vacations you are looking forward to this summer?
The summer means that I come back for the break to Australia. This summer/winter apart from the work I have to do and getting my documentation in order (visa etc) I am going I hope on a trip to the Kimberley.

It is the north western "corner" of Australia
Michele and I are in the process of planning it now- when I say planning Michele is doing sterling work juggling dates and tour companies and I am being supportive and saying what is possible time wise for me.

Hopefully my photos will be almost as good as this
2. What is your favorite article of summer clothing (shoes are included)?
What is this with favourite personal items and these lists- in trying to catch up I reflected on this penchant for favourites- so selecting a favourite item of summer clothing would have to be sandals because they are the closest thing to bare feet and love walking around barefoot. I only put on shoes inside when I get cold- now if they had asked favourite winter item then I might have been able to say my purple cowgirl slippers.
The selection of a favourite something reminds of that scene in Miss Congeniality ...
Stan Fields: Miss Rhode Island, please describe your idea of a perfect date.
Cheryl "Rhode Island": That's a tough one. I'd have to say April 25th. Because it's not too hot, not too cold, all you need is a light jacket. 
 
3. What is your favorite summer drink (alcoholic or non)?
Still on the favourites thing... hmmm... a summer drink that I really enjoy is Matcha- I asked the resident Japanese expert (Michele) as she walked past to make sure I have the name right. According to another of my great sources (google) high quality matcha green tea differs from low quality powder in two ways.
First, it tastes sweet and smooth with just a hint of astringency. This is because it contains higher concentrations of theanine. Green tea powder tends to lack theanine, and so tastes more flat and abrasive.
Second, it is ground into fine powder using slow-turning granite grinding wheels. Friction is minimized and tea leaves are not “burned” in the process, allowing the leaves to retain chlorophyll.
In contrast, regular green tea powder is often pulverized using air pressure. The friction caused by this process “over-cooks” the leaves, rendering them yellow-brown.
 It makes up into a  thickish green sweet drink which is very refreshing. I'm not sure that Stabucks has it right.


4. Do you tan or burn?
I should try neither as with my fair Irish skin I burn as quick as look at the sun. Skin cancer is a high risk for all Australians- Michele has had more burnt off and cut out of her than anyone I know fortunately they have been discovered in time and removed.  A trip to the demratologists will be on the cards when I come back in July.


5. Any goals you are working toward this summer?
Goals? I always have goals I am working towards and this summer/winter will be no exception. By the summer I will have started my "60 Things in 600 Days" but I have yet to finalize all that so perhaps that is the goal I can say I am working towards. Intrigued? I hope so.


6. What is your favorite summertime food?
I think of avocado and summer for some reason- perhaps that is when they are supposed to be ripe and available. One never knows now what is a summer food and what isn't. Although stone fruit always seem to be able to keep themselves pretty much to the summer. It wasn't until I couldn't get cherries for Christmas in NYC that I realized how exclusively summer they are.
We always had cherries on the Christmas dinner table (remember that is summer in Australia)- I guess because they are red- they look so red and shiny and inviting especially against the white table cloth. A danger, that is... the white table cloth ... the red cherry juice. We would "pick at the cherries" between and during the courses. One was already stuffed to the gills with lollies (candy) from the presents, stocking or tree- the only time you were allowed to eat lollies all day then at Easter the only time you were allowed to eat chocolate before or for breakfast.


7. What song most says “summer” to you?
Only one? I'm going for two- one is "Summer Holiday" which ends up being my summer  fallback internal sound track all summer long just as "Winter Wonderland" ends up being my winter fallback internal sound track- the one I am singing in my head when I am not singing something else. Do you always have a sound track running in your head? I believe other people do and some others have different things like mathematics equations or pictures they will paint/draw/create.
The second song that reminds me of  summer is Band on the Run. I can still feel the heat of the day and the scorching footpath and the location of the place where I was working.


8. Any home improvement goals planned for this summer?
We really are looking forward to summer aren't we! I have been doing those improvement things while home this time- cleaning out the junk in the bungalow- the skip is yet to be removed and I have managed to weed the old photo album collection in preparation for the development of new photo albums this time scrapped to within an inch of their lives.


9. What is one thing you hate to see at the beach?
"Budgie smugglers"- What am I talking about? Went to the source (google) and selected two explanations
1. Australian slang term for men's tight-fitting Speedo-style swimwear. The 'lump in the front' apparently resembles a budgie when it is stuffed down the front of someone's shorts. Ah, those crazy Aussies!!
2. Any item of male bathing costume or underwear that encloses the wearer's genitalia in a manner that resembles the concealment of a budgerigar.

Perhaps the more intellectual response to this would be my objection to people smoking on the beach- we know where the cigarette butts are going to end up don't we!


10. Did you ever go to a summer camp?
I used to go as a leader on holiday camps. It was a week out of my holiday and it meant that kids to get away from the city and have some time where they had three decent meals a day and were cared for as well as having fun. The camp I did this at  what was then called "Lions Village Licola" and is now called Licola Wilderness Village- don't know that it is much of a wilderness but it does take a very long time to get there. This question has brought a whole range of memories back of going as  a "leader" on the camp and caring for groups 6 girls getting them to and from activities and keeping them entertained and comforted throughout their week long stay. For a while there I was going every school holidays which meant at least three or four weeks out of the year. Really rewarding and exhausting.

1 comment:

Barb said...

They were really into summer this time, right???

Loved the question about what you hate to see at the beach. I am with you!! The only thing I would add is they speedos on OLD men who think they are still terrific looking!! LOL

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...