Thursday, January 8, 2009

Ain't friends grand!?!

It has been a long week- is it only Wednesday, Hump Day! Only tow more get ups before the chance to sleep in again. And in this context Anne called around this evening on her way home from work (she did manage to shop on the way!) . The purpose of her visit was to help Sue with her planning for the workshop she has to give tomorrow. What a friend! She sat on the couch and talked to Sue about the games and programs she, Sue, could use and shared lots of ideas and resources. Sue did give her lots of things in exchange but What a friend! She was as tired as we are (getting back into routine in the cold is not easy) and then she had to go home to Queens and get herself organized for tomorrow. Okay so it's not all that far to Queens but it is cold and wet- an icy day with reports of frozen areas. So what a good friend she is- it was lovely to see her too although I wasn't much company having tried to get another Art Journal page done it didn't really work- perhaps tomorrow night.
We did invite Anne to stay to dinner but she wanted to get home to her own hearth and I can completely understand that. I get home and get into (forget about slip) something comfy and slob around the apartment. I was home relatively early tonight as I didn't have far to ravel. This morning "on my commute" there was a guy selling spinning tops- why would you think that would be a big sale item on a subway train? My first thought was that he stole them from somewhere. One young woman was approached and refused and must have said something along the lines of "What's the value in that?" and he then berated her and put the guilt trip on her saying that at least he wasn't on drugs and he has gotten himself clean and he's not going back there. That is great but every day there is someone on the train selling all manner of things from batteries to CD's- these tops topped the lot I think.
On my way home tonight there was an announcement (automatic thingy) saying it is illegal to ask for money on the trains and please help the MTA in their quest to stop this. There are also signs throughout subways telling people where they can donate to legitimate support services for the homeless and others.

3 comments:

Barb said...

Celia, your life is so interesting! I love reading your blog.

Sounds as if you have the best of friends and all have such a good time together and strong bonds.

It is always as if I am almost there with you!! LOL Thanks for sharing!

Linda said...

Celia, your NYC life intrigues me and I really wonder what kind of work you do with schools and education. Everytime I read your blog I picture myself back in NYC from when I was a kid. The Spinning Tops for sale was strange but nothing surprises me in New York. I remember one time walking in NYC with a boyfriend and we were approached by a small child selling flowers. When my sweetie handed the kid money for the flowers he grabbed it and the flowers and ran. Guess he was selling the same flowers over and over. How pathetic, but that is NYC. I love your blog.

Anke said...

Geez, the stuff you have to put up with living in New York. As much as I like the excitement, I love living in a small town, where you actually at times recognize names in the paper :) I love your account of things though, it is always interesting

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...