Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Keep going.... I'll catch up

Having met Cait outside the Apple store on 5th Avenue we made our way to CBS (like 50 yards away) and were trying to locate the other Australians that were going to be there for the Australia Day acknowledgment. It was soooooo cold (21F plus wind chill) and they said they wouldn't do an outside broadcast for less than 20 people so under instructions we went away for 30 minutes and sought warmth in the Apple store. We returned to be told that there were enough people but they wouldn't need us until 8:20am so off we went to the nearest coffee shop and had a coffee in the warmth and returned to stand outdside and wait for the weather man to come and complete the CBS morning show weather forcast. We waved our flags and cheered and talked Australian!!!??? and then headed for Columbus Circle to catch the "D" train to the Bronx and our appointment with a new school I was to begin working at. A s we scuttled along 59th St comparing how many toes we could still feel and whether our fingers existed any more we looked to our right and admired the beauty of Central Park. I managed ot pull my camera out of my handbag and said to Cait keep going I'll catch up" and so managed to snap this view of the bridge and the frozen lake.

After a successful visit to a school setting up more work Cait and I went back via Columbus Circle and had a coffee. I was then heading out to another school in Brooklyn on the N and then the J which involved changing train at Canal Street. The transfer meant walking up a steepish stairway to the platform where the J goes from. I was behind a man with a trolley and a tray of some sort of pastry he, I thought, was taking to a venue. Turns out he was taking it to the platform I was heading to to sell. I nearly got hit by a tray and trolley as he hoiked the trolley up the steep stairs. Then he was setting up for sales when the turf war began between him and the other guy who was already selling his pastries from the platfrom. Much shouting at each other then one guy grabbed the other guy's tongs... yes tongs and threw them to the ground. The tongs were bent and twisted and the tongs owner then tried to overturn the tong benders trolley of pastries- it was getting nasty!! I thought someone- possibly me- would end up on the tracks. The bent tongs got flung on to the platform again this time by the bent-tongs owner and he snatched the other guys tongs and ripped the glad wrap on the tong-bending trolley owners pastries. The guy who almost decapitated me with his pastries then retreated back down the platform just as the police arrived from the lower platform.
I hope you could make sense of all that tong-bending!
Twas very fraught and a tad scary- we commuters weren't sure who was going to get injured in the process.
So an eventfilled Monday for me!

2 comments:

Michele said...

a far more eventful trip to work than mine!!

Terry said...

beautiful photo Celia! What an eventful trip you had!! Scary!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...