Friday, January 9, 2009

The light of day

Very early in the morning Trish rang to let me know that the "L" was not running due to technical failure if some description. My immediate thought was "Hmm... I can climb back into bed!" But she had very kindly checked out on Hopstop the alternate trains to take "J" or "M". So it was get ready for work time and I was heading to the "N" and "M".
The morning light really was beautiful as I walked towards subway so I took time to "smell the roses" or at least take a photo (none of which do justice to the sky or the light. I missed the really big clouds while I tried to decide if I would photograph it).
So to the train and to work- well that was the plan.
I'd finished my Dick Francis book the night before so began to read the Obama biography as the train sped along (express train to Canal St just love it!) and then a quick trip up to the "M" platform. The train was in the station- I checked the sign "Yep heading to Brooklyn!" I thought and jumped in sat down and began reading my book again. Eventually I tuned in to the train announcements and realized- you guessed it- I was going in the wrong direction. Had to get off at De Kalb and wait for a returning "M" and finally arrived at Flushing Avenue. A quick walk for a few blocks and I was at the school about 45 minutes late.
I walked in the door of the room in which Trish and I work and she apologized. I told her it was my fault for taking the wrong train but her apology was for the fact that the "L" had come back on line around 7am and I would have been able to catch it and not been lost or late. I laughed it off as I could have checked for myself.
The journey home was quicker as the "L" was still in service and it is quite a quick journey unless I take the wrong train.

1 comment:

Anke said...

quite the morning adventure! Lovely pictures!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...