Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Obama Day!

On my walk to the subway this morning I was determined to try to remember to take photos of things that were specific to Inauguration Day. Just near the entrance to the downtown N/R/W train is the TKTS area of Times Square and Time Warner had a screen set up (the blue bit halfway along the photo) to show the Inauguration- glad I got a photo as by the time I came home past the same spot at around 3:30pm the screen was gone.
There were no free papers being handed out where I was but I got this shot of the newspaper stand and with it the photo of Obama.

So a day at work with the hope that the school would have the Inauguration available to be viewed. I began working knowing the agenda for the day in terms of the inauguration and continued doing things. Unfortunately I was told that given that the whole school would be watching the inauguration I could "do" some other pieces of work until all classes returned to their rooms. Just a tad shocked at the lack of understanding of the significance for everyone of the day, including this little Aussie!
However I did watch the whole thing in the company of US citizens excited by this moment in history.

So what did I learn- never assume you know the things that may come out of left field!

But the day continued and we had our Toodle-oo W and and Howdy Doo Obama event. Friends were invited to call in as soon after work as they wanted and to share some take out and a few drinks and talk about politics while we watched the parade and the balls and the reviews of the day .... speeches and events.

Not too late an evening but we marked the day and enjoyed the events.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The link below is being circulated the office here in Melbourne and the TV was on all day yesterday so we could all watch Obama get sworn in!


http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/interactive/2009/jan/09/bushism-random-generator

Barb said...

Celia, the ignorance AND stupidity of people right now is sometime more than I care to deal with.

You could almost bet on the fact that those that made the decision that you could work on "other pieces of work" had their little faces glued to the tube!! *sigh*

I guess I should just sing..."If I Ruled the World" !!! LOL

Michele said...

I also only caught News videos of the event but the hospital Tv's were all tuned in. A great day for the World!!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...