Sunday, January 11, 2009

A day indoors


It snowed most of yesterday afternoon so that when we got up this morning there was still some snow on rooftops and on our balcony. The melting snow from the balcony about had dripped down and little icicles hung around the edge of the left side of the balcony "roof" and they in turn had dripped down and created a frozen surface on the outside of the glass surround of the balcony. Proof to me that it was cold enough to stay indoors.
I did venture out onto the balcony when I heard sound of music and chanting. It was obviously a protest of some descrition so I went out to have a look and part of the group that were representing Palestinians protesting the bombing in the Gaza Strip. It wasn't until I saw the news that I learned waht it was and that there was another protest happening on the Eastside but that one was Israelis protesting at the UN.
My day was relatively successful in getting myself organized, diary, reflective journal etc but for some reason I felt more keenly today the absence of my letter writing routine.
Each Sunday since October I have felt the "hole" in my routine that was filled with my writing to Maddy. It was the time when I would think about what she would want to know and see and hear and try to convey aspects of the life I have in NYC as well as comments on the political scene. Her letter would arrive late in the week, having posted it on Sunday in Melbourne, and I could compose some things responding to her questions and comments as well as filling her in on the theatre I'd been to or the things that had happened at work or on my way to work.
Today in particular I felt that loss.

No comments:

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...