Sunday, October 14, 2012

Blogtoberfest #13 A well savoured Saturday




The stress of it all! After a morning of trying to get some things sorted I headed off to my art journal class (102) at Little Bird Creations. This involved a train trip to 86th Street and a short walk to 89th and West End Avenue, along the way was this little window box. I liked the trailing ivy against the brick work and the little splash of colour.

I love the view down long avenues that give the whole canyons look and have me singing in my head the Mamas and Papas song TwelveThirty

"I used to live in New York City
Everything there was dark and dirty
Outside my window was a steeple
With a clock that always said twelve-thirty

Young girls are coming to the canyon
And in the mornings I can see them walkin'
I can no longer keep my blinds drawn
And I can't keep myself from talkin'

At first so strange to feel so friendly
To say "Good mornin'" and really mean it
To feel these changes happenin' in me
But not to notice till I feel it"

Having sung my way the rest of the distance (like about 50 steps) I was at Michele L's craft apartment on the third floor. All those stairs at schools is getting me fitter- I managed this walk up quite easily I think. Back there again tomorrow so will check that out.


 Our chance to get inky and messy creating a lovely page. Michele is so generous with her time and her things letting us use her  stamps and paints and all manner of things.

Michele at work in her craft space


After three hours it was time to head home so to get in my exercise for the day I walked from 89th to 48th- it's about two and a half miles so a good walk. 


This walk took me back past the statues I walked up to along Broadway last week. 


Christelle enjoying the sun on her back
My final piece
I tried to finish off some of the work when I got home and then Mary, Margie and I went to see The Heiress. It's on at the Walter Kerr Theatre so an easy grab the ticket and the keys and walk next door trip. 




Playbill provided the following...
The new Broadway production of Ruth and Augustus Goetz's period drama The Heiress begins previews at the Walter Kerr Theatre Oct. 6. Oscar nominee Jessica Chastain ("The Help") plays the awkward Catherine Sloper, with "Downton Abbey" star Dan Stevens as a handsome suitor who arrives on her doorstep. Windows and doors figure prominently in the drama.
In the 1850-set play, inspired by the 1880 Henry James novel "Washington Square," Oscar nominee and Emmy Award winner David Strathairn ("Good Night and Good Luck," "Temple Grandin") plays Catherine's widower father, Dr. Sloper, with two-time Tony Award winner Judith Ivey (Steaming, Hurlyburly) as romantic-at-the-core Aunt Lavinia Penniman.
The socially stunted, shy-around-men Catherine — billed by her own father as not "clever" — learns the rules of the world as she is caught between newcomer Morris Townsend (whose motives are murky) and her cold father.
Opening night is Nov. 1. The 1947 American classic is directed by Tony Award-nominated playwright and director MoisΓ©s Kaufman (I Am My Own Wife, 33 Variations, The Laramie Project). His cast also includes Molly Camp as Marian Almond, Kieran Campion as Arthur Townsend, Virginia Kull as Maria, Dee Nelson as Mrs. Montgomery and Caitlin O'Connell as Aunt Elizabeth Almond.
Here she is without the plastic
We had front row seats (cos they're cheaper cos you get a crick in your neck) and they were not too bad actually. The set is great with a very steep staircase because the stage is not very deep. I dislike the way US audiences applaud a well known actor when they come onto the stage. They ain't done anything yet! I dislike even more the fact that they give a standing ovation to everything. In the front row we could delay standing up. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the show. Jessica Chastain was fabulous and changed in her role so beautifully. What was even more impressive was her crying- how can she do that every performance. Dan Stevens was lovely and appropriately appealing and a scoundrel.  I loved Judith Ivey's portrayal of a gushing enthusiastic woman she had a way of not finishing words but you still knew what she was saying. Not sure that that was the way the script was written and it worked so well.

No comments:

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...