Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Not so Wacky Wednesday

The sun was shining and blue skies sparkled... the weather was too good to go to the gym and walk on the walking machine so instead I donned my walking shoes and headed out on to the street- what a novel idea!!
It's actually too cold in winter to brave the walking outside and so taking advantage of the not back to work yet time and the lovely weather was pretty smart I thought. And indeed it was! Along 48th then up and across Broadway along 57th and then up 7th and across 59th and into Central Park at the Artisans Gate. Others had the same idea and appeared to have had the idea for some time- that is to walk in the park ... there were kids running on the path (a trip and skun knee very closely averted), dogs on leads with their owns ambling behind or beside them, people on their way to work, mothers with kids in prams perhaps taking a cut across the park to get the kids to child care or merely giving them an "airing". There was a sense of purpose in most people and animals there given that it was early the birds were beginning their day long search for food. There were few people sleeping under trees- all a different place from yesterday's lark in the park.
I really only skimmed the edge of the park heading across to Central Park West and into Whole Foods to check out what they had available in the Japanese groceries as I've planned a shared dinner for Thursday evening.
Having spent about 15minutes in Whole Foods I headed back down 8th Avenue and across to Broadway going with the lights so crossing the road a couple of times to keep moving. Then into 49th St and through the Crown Plaza car park to 48th St and home. All in all an hour out much longer than I would have been on the machine in the gym... next step will be to walk and then begin the weights program. As I said in my blog on Monday "Today I am watching... my weight increase! Eeek the gym has to happen as does the careful consumption of appropriate food."

A great start to my day and I had decided that really needed to tackle my writing contribution to Shirley's and my books. We have a contract to write a teacher and student book title yet to be finalised as is the actual writing. So today I got stuck into the teacher part on the constitution of Australia. Could be really dry but hopefully it works for those who need to know and understand it.

Thank fully I have made contact with the two schools I know I'll be working with this year and so my planning and work can begin! Despite the vow and supplies to eat in this week I suggested and we went across to Hurleys for lunch
and there was Tasha the bar tender who has moved to Santa Monica but returns to visit every so often and we just managed to go there on one of the three days she's in town. Word had spread and heaps of people were coming in to say hi and have a chat and a laugh. She is a lovely woman and great bar tender.

Julia and Margie came over and we spent time compiling our photos from Santa Fe
and the trip out to Abuqui and Georgia O'Keeffe country. It is such a long process to put them all together and then edit it down to a reasonable size viewing collection. Sue is going to make an imovie with them so that we all can have a great "slide show" of our journey together.

Margie left part way through to get some snacks to take up on the roof for drinks which was how we ended our day - sitting up on the roof as the sun set and the light faded. A gentle breeze blew so luckily we had jackets and could sit and enjoy the evening chatting and sharing ideas and stories.

2 comments:

Barb said...

What a well thought Wednesday!! Why spend the time walking inside when there will be a plenty of that in a few short weeks!! Sounded like a delightful walk...and a relaxing night with friends.

Lucky you...not working yet! I could use a little time off...especially since all vacations have been suspended!! Ugh. I don't understand how someone could believe that is good for your business not to let your employees have a break from their job at least once a year. We all had two wweeks taken away! yuk!

Anyway, enjoy the rest of your free time!

mollie said...

Celia I just love visiting NYC with you. :) I enjoy your photos so much and wish that I could walk with you and your friends!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...