Thursday, September 3, 2009

Thursdays make you think?

It has been a really full day. Having finally made contact with schools they actually want me to go and work!!! Eeek! That meant changing my social plans for the day. Well only a little bit....
Julia had left her computer at our place, on purpose, so the plan was I'd take it to her this morning and then our little group would go to the Met together. And the plan worked- I dressed ready to be presentable in a school which meant a little overdressed for a trip to a museum and a walk across the park however it worked well.
Margie and I walked up the hill ... okay slight incline ... along Broadway to 56th St where the contingent expanded in numbers with Julia and Annie. We walked across to Madison and caught the bus up to 79th St and then across to 5th Avenue and the Met. We were there by 10:30ish and headed straight for the newly renovated American Wing and strolling around looking at our favourites. In my case the Tiffany vases and stained glass, the Frank Lloyd Wright room and the Harriet Whitney sculpture called The Vine I have yet to find my little upload thingy so will have to insert my own images later.
The Vine by Harriet Whitney Frishmuth

We all seemed to get the "droops" about the same time which was perfect for me as I managed a coffee and snack before heading out of the museum and across Central Park to catch the subway. Three days in a row with a walk in the Park. It is such a relaxing place.
I had the address of the new school but had typed it into google maps incorrectly so when I got to 245 West 123rd St I found there was no school there. What to do? Ah yes the GPS! Yep I rang my GPS (good person Sue) who was at home and was kind enough to get the correct address for me and only a matter of 5 minutes later I was walking in to my new work location and setting up some of my work for the year.
I managed to get away from there quite promptly and caught the 1 train to 59th St. As I approached the subway I remembered that this is the section of the 1 line that actually comes out in the open and boy is it high up in the open! Up 81 steps later and I was on the platform. Must take a photo of the view as one approaches.
I got off the train at 59th St and into Whole Foods, made my selection and then home to prepare te maki sushi. In the process just now of checking out my spelling I came across this you tube video of how to make it- I did not prepare our meal this way but the dog in the video!!! Some Japanese ideas of what makes a good idea sometimes seems odd to me. I digress....
The preparation of dinner before hand meant we could all just sit down when everyone arrived and make our own " hand rolled" sushi. It's a little like putting out all the stuff for burritos and making your own except in this case we had pickled ginger, nori (seaweed sheets), raw tuna, raw salmon, tinned tuna in mayo, avocado, egg roll, wasabi, red pepper, sliced snow peas, sushi rice, beans in sesame and I think that's all. I spent time getting this ready and then when our mates arrived we sat down and had a lovely long meal and chat.
Yet another day in NYC filled with variety and good thoughts.

2 comments:

Barb said...

h my! The video was great! I am not sure about the raw fish. Might be good, never tried it!

Glad you could still have your day with friends even though you had to do that nasty thing called work!!

what is it that you will be doing at the school?

Great post!

Terry said...

mmmm sushi, love it!

16th of the Month- March

 A bit of a turbulent month between 16ths So the unpack after India... Walks on the beach...oh to be able to reproduce this as a pa...